Search

Car Rental

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental

We will be renting a car next year in Amsterdam. We plan on picking the car up at the airport and drive to Germany to see our son and family. We will drop it off on our return and then spend a few days in Amsterdam.

I have never rented a car in Europe so I'm not sure what companies to go through. Any recommendations? Anything I need to be aware of that I wouldn't see when renting in the US?

Thanks,
Duane
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
P_M

You'll get a better deal by booking and paying in advance. Check out www.autoeurope.com for some of the best rates.

Your US auto insurance is no good in Europe, but it's possible you are covered by the credit card you will use to pay for the rental. Call your credit card company and ask for all details of coverage on European rentals.

It looks like you will drop off the car and THEN spend a few days in Amsterdam. Wise move, as a car is uselss in that city. Bon Voyage.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 04:34 PM

If you use the search box here in the board, you can bring up a lot of threads with some good info. There are lots of the same rental companies there, as well as some large Europe-based ones. A lot of people here use a consolidator, but I've generally gotten pretty good rates just shopping around with the major companies a few weeks before departure (you typically have to dig in their sites to find the sales, they won't quote them by default). I've used Hertz a number of times in Europe and been pretty satisfied. The add-on insurance from the rental company is generally quite expensive; it can pay to know the details of whether your own insurance will cover you or if you have a credit card that will cover (the CC coverage requires that you use the card for all charges in the rental).

Default rental cars in Europe will be stick shift; if you need an automatic, it will be quite a bit more expensive. Many rentals will also be diesel; be sure you know which it is, and how to identify the pumps. Take time when you pick the car up to be sure you understand the controls; there's nothing like hitting a sudden rainstorm in the night and having no idea how to turn on the wipers.

Roads through interesting old towns and villages can be a bit narrow, and parking a challenge; if you don't need a big car, I wouldn't get one. I usually don't bother trying to figure out the local parking rules and just use a pay parking lot in the towns. On the highways, lane discipline is much better than in the US; keep right except to pass.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for taking the time to post the information. It doesn't sound like I need to start booking now and it is not much different from the US. Manual shift is fine and since it is just my wife and me, a small car will work.

I will check out the sites listed as we get closer. And yes, we are not taking the car into Amsterdam. We'll drop it off then make our way downtown.

Thanks again,
Duane

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:21 AM

During out travels throughout Spain we have used Europcars many times and do our booking through Skycars. Booking thru skycars is on avg. 10 euros per day cheaper. The correct vehicle is always there and the staff at Europcars and Skycars are most helpful. Sure you have an insurance excess but the same applies to all. Unlimited mileage is a bonus.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:45 PM

The best prices I've been finding are through Budget. Check out http://tinyurl.com/y7amyv for available discount codes.

Another consideration might be that there is an additional fee if you pick up the car at the airport. Some websites say 16% with a minimum of $40; some say minimum of $75. You might want to check this out with the rental car company or the airport directly.

Some companies do have off-site rental locations, but they appear to be downtown.

Just wanting you to be informed. I am finding that some of the companies include this fee in the price they quote you and some don't.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:32 AM

You can also check out Autoeuropes sister company, Kemwel. Whereas the websites are very similar if not almost completely identical, sometimes you can get a better rate at the same location and through the same supplier.

You do not say where you are going in Germany..that information might be helpful as you may be able to save some money by taking the train directly from the airport to a closer destination and renting the car there.

Also, be aware that in terms of insurance coverage, your CC may very weel be a good option BUT inquire as to whether or not there is additional insurance avialable to cover the deductible protions (deductibles can be VERY high in Europe).

Also, make CERTAIN that YOU look at the car for any dents, scratches, dings, damage BEFORE you drive off and that any of those things are noted by the rental agent.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:33 AM

Sorry for the typos...
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:32 AM
ira

Hi D,

Also look up www.novacarhire.com and www.sixt.com.

AE will usually beat the price of other firms, but it pays to shop.

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great information. I haven't booked the car yet, but plan on it right after the first of the year. My son will be stationed in Landsthul, Germany, also known "Kaiserslautern area" That's what my daughter in law told us. So we are going from Amsterdam to Landsthul.

We could take public transportation to Munich then rent a car. We thought we'd drive just to see the sights, but the train is an option. Any opinions as to what you would do? Drive, fly, or train? Keep in mind hat we will be arriving in Amsterdam on a 6:30 p.m. flight.

Thanks again, great suggestions.
Duane
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:29 AM

If you plan to return the car in Amsterdam, rent the car in Amsterdam. There usually are stiff cross-border drop-off fees. You might want to rent the car when you arrive, drive a few miles and then stop for the night. My recollection of German geography is that Kaiserslautern is closer to Amsterdam than to Munich.

The UK Autoeurope site has usually given lower prices than the U.S. site:

http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 09:04 AM
ira

Hi D,

>The UK Autoeurope site has usually given lower prices than the U.S. sitelt;

but not always.

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 09:32 AM

For Landstuhl you do <b>NOT</b> want to go to Munich since that is waaaaaay out of the way. Landstuhl and Kaiserslautern are south of Frankfurt and close to Mannheim; the latter is a major junction point for north-south trains in Germany.

Consider this: if you are getting to Schiphol at 6:30 PM I suspect the earliest you'd be rolling in the car would be 7:30 more or less. So, how far do you think yopu'll drive that first night before wanting to stop?

You could take a train to either Frankfurt or on to Mannheim; getting to the latter during daylight could take between 7 and 9 hours or more from Schiphol.

You could rent one way and rail back on the return but that could mean a hefty drop charge.

What is the total length for this trip?
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally would not rent a car from Amsterdam at all. I'd take the train as Dukey suggests and then rent a car just for the Germany portion of your trip. Then at the end I'd drop the car and take a train back to A'dam.

You won't want to driving very far (if at all) right after arriving. You will have been on an overnight transatlantic flight and not slept for probably 24 hours (or even more depending on where you start in the States). You likely will be jet lagged and exhausted - and excited too. So just take a train to Germany and don't worry about driving until at least the 2nd day.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the advice. We will be arriving from Tanzania after a 12 day safari. The flight is about 9 hours and I think and we gain an hour or 2. Will be staying in Germany for 6 or 7 nights then 3 more back in Amsterdam before returning home.

My original plan was to get out of the airport around 7:30 p.m. or so then drive for about 4 hours.

But, I like the idea of taking the train although it will be an extra expense. Of course with the extra car rental days and gasoline it might not be much of a difference. Being from the US, I do not have much experience with trains so naturally I was leaning towards the car rent.

Does anyone have the link to the train that I might take? I assume I could probably get it right at the airport.

Thanks again,
Duane
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:07 AM
ira

Hi Duane,

I wouldn't try to drive for 4 hr after a 9-hr flight.

&gt;Does anyone have the link to the train that I might take? I assume I could probably get it right at the airport.&lt;

See www.bahn.de

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:27 AM

If you do not want to stay overnight at Schiphol (and there are several hotels very close to the terminal; one [the Mercure] is actually in the terminal; the next two closest ones are the Westin and the Hilton {connected by walkway to the terminal) you can take a train from the airport into the city in about 15 minutes.

You can also take trains directly into Germany (sometimes involving a change in Duivendrecht (kind of a &quot;suburb&quot; of A-dam)..check Ira's link for the GermanRail site)

Schiphol has a railroad ticket office in the Schiphol Plaza area of the terminal.

www.schiphol.nl