Car Rental

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Pam

Car Rental

We are going to rent a car in Nice and drive around the Cote D'Azur and surrounding areas. Do we need to get the CDW and theft protection while in France? I have seen several posting recommending it for Italy.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Sherry

Hi Pam. I rented a car through Auto Europe for pickup at the Nice airport last May. I used my credit card for the coverage and skipped paying the extra to Europcar.
It made the rental a little less expensive. You can do either.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Fred

Check with your credit card company - they should cover you and you won't need the CDW. In Italy many people do suggest it but not France.For Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Capo

Hi Pam. According to what AutoEurope told me, insurance is mandatory for rentals in Italy.

As others have noted, your credit card may provide coverage. Another option, which I've used before, is to purchase insurance through TravelGuard. As I recall, it's only $5/day, less than what you'd pay through a rental car company (although I can't remember how deductibles compare.)

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Julie

Make sure what your credit card's rules are, too. My credit card told me that if I signed up for any CDW coverage with the auto rental company itself, I would void my coverage via the credit card.

Unfortunately I learned that lesson the hard way, the really, really hard way.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Julie

I should explain this better. I signed up for the minimum CDW coverage with Avis while renting a car in England. We dented the car while trying to back out of a narrow driveway on a hill, and had to pay the full $900.00 deductible to Avis.

I found out when I got back that if I hadn't taken out the CDW with Avis, my credit card would have covered EVERYTHING.

So yes, I would make sure you are covered for accidental damage some way, either through full CDW and theft, or by your credit card. Our accident was a dark cloud in a very wonderful trip.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Pam

Thanks you to everyone for their responses! It will make the trip logistics a little easier (which is good since it's our honeymoon...)

Pam