Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to purchase London Visitor Travelcard?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 09:45 AM
Elizabeth

Does anyone know a place or website where I might be able to purchase a London Visitor Travelcard for the underground?

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 10:30 AM
wes fowler

Elizabeth, <BR>Check the website www.londontransport.co.uk <BR>The fare structures and types of visitor cards are all listed. There is no reason to purchase a travelcard before arriving in London. They're available at any underground station ticket booth. If you're buying a weekly card, a passport sized photo is required. (It doesn't have to be a passport photo, but one of that size with your readily recognizable image on it.)

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 10:30 AM
Bill Irving

When I purchased the London visitor travel card for our visit in June, I called the Britrail office. I don't know the phone number off-hand, but it is probably on their site www.britrail.com - somwhere. Could not order it directly from their site, but if you go to: <BR>http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/pa...ravel_card.htm - you can order it there. I was glad I purchased it. You don't need a photo for this pass. You actually purchase a voucher which when you get to London, you can exchange it for the actual passes, at a number of places. Very easy to do. You also get maps & discounts with the card. We purchased zones 1 & 2, that was able to get us to Greenwich via the tube & docklands light rail.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 12:03 PM
Roger

It's a lot cheaper buying a one week travel card in London. If you have a passport size photo you can purchase it at any tube station and only takes a minute. <BR>

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 01:54 PM
Elizabeth

Thanks guys, I would like to be able to get the travelcard beforehand, because I know that you don't need the passport size photo, and maybe some of the coupons would be handy. I wonder if the price difference from purchasing it there, really would be worth it. Wes, you said any picture passport size that is recognizable you would be okay? Another concern is does the one purchased in London allow travel in all zones? We are staying in a B & B in the Crouch End area, and the bus service there is in Zone 3.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 05:08 PM
wes fowler

Elizabeth, <BR>Do check the website referred to in my earlier posting. You can specify the number of zones you want the card to encompass. A recognizable image on a passport sized photo will suffice, no need to get a "mug shot". I personally would favor getting the card at a London tube station rather than pay for coupons that may never be used and for which a charge, no matter how nominal, is tacked on.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 05:18 PM
wes fowler

Elizabeth, <BR>I was a little foggy in that last posting. Let me be a bit more specific about my reluctance to purchase a London Visitor Travelcard here. There are only two types of cards available; one for the central zone and one that encompasses all zones. If you buy the central zone card, you'll need to purchase separate supplements each to you go to and from zone 3; if you buy the all zone card, you'll be paying for transport to three zones you'll never visit. In London, the weekly zones 1-3 card costs 21.50 pounds or about $34.00. Compare that with rates here charged by travel agents, tour companies or the British Tourist Authority.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 12:14 PM
Jean

We get the central (zone 1)one-week card. We just get photos in the do it yourself booth - put coins in the slot and the photo is ready in a couple of minutes. It's very quick and easy. <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 01:44 PM
Geoff

I was over in London earlier in the year and got a weekly card. Whether or not you need the photo card depends on how long the pass is for, not where you buy it. With a weekly you technically need the second photo card to make it legit. The travel card itself will work in the machines no problem, but if you get stopped in the tube, you are supposed to have the second card with your picture. The only cost you have for the second card is the photos, otherwise it's provided free. <BR> <BR>Also - when I looked into it, buying the card here was not only more expensive, they offered ONLY the full all zone card. No chance to get the chepest zone 1&2 only. I've been out to Greenwich and I don't believe you can get that far with the 1&2, that sure sounds like the Zone 6 card.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 02:30 PM
anna

I believe Greenwich is on the border between zones 2 and 3. We did not take the Tube or the Docklands light railway there, but some other overland train, which either left from the Charing Cross Station or brought us to the Charing Cross Station (I just don't remember--Ben Haines, where are you?)

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 12:17 AM
Nigel Doran

Greenwich is in Zone 2, and, depending on when you visit, you might be able to use the brand, spanking new Jubilee Line extension. It's late, over budget and architecturally dubious to some, but it is definitely an 'event'. (Parts of it are up and running, but not all of it.) <BR>I second buying a Zone 1 or 1 and 2 travelcard here and buying extensions if you need to go to, say, Kew Gardens or Hampton Court. Remember you can use all the buses and overland trains within the card's zones. <BR>

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 08:56 AM
elvira

Our hostess in London is horrified that her American guests buy the 6-zone travelcard before they leave the states, since most visitors never go beyond zone 3 (most touristy stuff is in zones 1&2). We just buy the cards at any underground station, and the teller/cashiers have always been very helpful when we had questions. Also, PBA, there is a "weekend card" for Saturday/Sunday that is very cheap. You can also buy carnets (10 tickets at a 40% or so discount). <BR>Oddly, you can buy any-zone Metro passes for Paris, but only the all-zone London pass, from here in the U.S.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 10:00 AM
Bill Irving

As I have previously posted, you can buy a Visitor Travelcard for just zones 1-2 here in the States, or for more zones. That is what I did this past June. Whether you want to purchase here or in London, that is up to you. I bought it from Britrail, & I only needed the 4 day pass, not the 7. No matter how easy it is to get a photo, it was just plain more convenient for me to get the travelcar before I left the States. We actually had only 31/2 days in London, & it worked out well for me. I was able to get to & from Greenwich with the 2 zone ticket, via the Docklands light rail & the walkway/tunnel under the river. & it was nice to be able to use the travelcard at anytime during the day - not having to wait until 9:30am to get a daily pass.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 11:10 AM
elvira

Bill, did you actually get a zone 1/2 travelcard through raileurope? My travel agent said only the 6zone card was sold through raileurope. You said something about a voucher - did you then still have to go to a ticket window in the underground and exchange it? If so, what did you feel was the advantage? (this is not a throwing down of the gauntlet, I need ammo to use with my travel agent!)

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 06:04 AM
Bill Irving

Elvira, I purchased 4, 4-day London Tourist Travelcards (vouchers) for zones 1-2 from Britrail, (RailEurope), in May of 1999, by calling them directly at 1877456-RAIL. If you look at the website describe in the 1st response to the original question, you will see that they have that listed. I went to the site myself & saw it there. The vouchers can be exchanged at a number of places, including Heathrow. We got to Heathrow about 6am, took the Airbus to our hotel, Hotel Russell, at Russell Square, left our luggage, then walked about the 1/2 mile to Euston station. Had some breakfast & then exchanged the vouchers for Travelcards ( & maps-guides) & had them validated & we were then off on the tube. That exchange took all of about 2 minutes, & we didn't need to pull out any photo's or money (they were already paid for). The exchange takes place at a booth that is separate from the train ticket purchase & information areas, so you don't not have to wait in line with all those people, especially during rush hour. The above convenience was worth it for us, to pay alittle more in advance, especially when we were still somewhat tired & jet lagged, & with 2 kids under the age of 12. To me, it was worth it, for somebody else it may not be worth it. If I can help you with anything else, you can email me direct if you want to. <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 06:21 AM
Bill Irving

Elvira, sorry I gave the wrong number in the previous post. The phone number I used to order the London Visitor Travelcard was 1-800-438-7245 (1-8004-EURAIL). In May when I purchased 4 of them(4-day passes), it cost me $86 total, including any service charges, so that was about $21.50 each. & that was for London VISITOR travel cards for zone 1-2. There are a few diferent kinds of travel cards, but the London VISITOR is the 1 with no photo. <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 07:51 AM
Elizabeth

Wow, what a bunch of wonderful responses! Bill, thanks for the great advice. I have narrowed it down - I will buy a weekly travelcard for zones 1,2 & 3(again the bus line for the B&B we will be staying at is in zone 3, and its a mile from the house to the tube station, so taking the bus is essential)which will be $34 plus the extension needed to travel from Heathrow to our accomodations (?-$)when we arrive at the airport. We will be in London 41/2 days, so the 4-day, all zone visitor pass which I could get for $41(again we need more than zones 1 & 2) wouldn't cover our last day(which would only be a ride to Victoria Station). I figure in the end we will save $7 per person. <BR> <BR>Elvira, the company Ticketsto.com which I was going to purchase some passes from also has the zone 1 & 2 visitor travelcards. You can get a 4-day pass for $27. Which may actually be cheaper than purchase it when you get there for 17.60pounds-depending on the current exchange rate(at 1.65/$ it would be $28.00). Food for thought!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:12 PM
KenCT

Topping in response to a recent inquiry on this topic. I found the information really useful before my trip to London last year and plan to re-use it when I go back in a couple of weeks.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Ellen

Current prices (all examples are for cards for zones 1 and 2):<BR><BR>4-day Visitors Travelcard: $25 (roughly &pound;17)<BR>7-day Visitors Travelcard: $30 (roughly &pound;21)<BR>7-day regular travelcard: &pound;19.30<BR><BR>4-day child visitors travelcard10 (roughly &pound;7)<BR>7-day Child Visitors Travelcard: $13 (roughly &pound;9) <BR>7-day child travelcard: &pound;7.90<BR><BR>Daily family travel cards (available from 9:30 AM weekdays, all day weekends): &pound;2.70 per adult, 80p per child. Up to 2 children per adult; "child" is age 5 through 15.<BR><BR>So I guess it's an individual decision, whether to pay the small premium (plus delivery fee??) to get the advance visitors travelcard. Do you still have to also go to a specific station to turn in a voucher if you don't have it deliverd? <BR><BR>We found it no trouble to buy regular travel passes after arriving in London. For me, there would be more stress involved in sending for a pass, worrying about whether the advance-purchase card would arrive or whether I'd forget to bring it!<BR>