Reload this Page >

car parking near Rome

Search

car parking near Rome

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 07:51 AM
ann

car parking near Rome

Does anyone know of somewhere to leave a car for about 2 days near Rome. We don't want to turn in our car and then get a new one due to the cost involved but we want to at least see Rome for one, or preferably, two days. If there is a garage or something near the train into Rome that would be one possibility. Another would be to stay somewhere close to Rome (but not actually within it) where we could keep the car and then take the train in for day trips. Anyone have any suggestion? Thanks

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 07:55 PM
Rex

I can't claim actual experience with either of these ideas, but... <BR> <BR>Rick steves claims that (parking at) the train station at Orvieto is friendly, safe and convenient enough that one ought not to drive in to Rome - - stop here and take the train the rest of the way in. Keep in mind, it's a good hour outside the city (approaching from the north). <BR> <BR>As far as IN Rome itself, here's an idea I had on my own (but I don't know if this is safe nor if it is logical) - - park at Cinecitta Due - - one of Rome's leading malls. The Metro runs right there. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 08:08 PM
gb

There's a huge underground parking garage under the park at Borghese. We parked there for four days. The cost was reasonable. The only problem was finding where we parked our car when we returned to pick it up. Many of the gates lock behind you 9in the garage), and you can't backtrack. So, keep good notes on where you parked.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 11:48 AM
LeaAnn

Ann, unless you have driven in Rome before and know your way around, I wouldn't recommend driving and/or parking there. Rick Steves' suggestion is a great one--Orvieto is a nice place to visit. And you can pick up some Orvieto Classico wine. Have fun!

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Ed

Please don't visit Rome from Orvieto! <BR> <BR>Orvieto's a lovely city, but not a base for visiting Rome. <BR> <BR>Park in the Borgehese parking at the head of the via Veneto. Plenty of space there. Security seems pretty good. Many hotels to choose from in the area. <BR> <BR>Please, spend as much time in Rome as you can. Getting in and out of the city in the car will be a bit of a pain, but it's quite doable. Actually, 10s of thousands do it every day! <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 04:10 AM
wendy

If you end up finding a garage in the city, I suggest you get there the way we got our car into the city. After driving from amalfi coast we were giving our car back, and we decided to give it back in the city, not the airport. We got so lost that we flagged a taxi down. I got in the cab and my husband followed us to the car rental return in the city. It was cheaper than returning or parking our car far away, and then first taking a cab. Any questions, email.