car or train into venice

Jan 14th, 1999, 06:18 PM
Paul Rabe

car or train into venice

As there is no major city in Italy that you can get to faster, cheaper, or with less hassle in a car than on a train; I cannot recommend ANYTHING but the train for that country. That being said, the choice should be obvious.

Jan 14th, 1999, 10:17 PM
Elena

TRAIN!!!!!Do not even think about driving TO Venice....unless you are an extremely patient person.

Jan 14th, 1999, 11:09 PM
Denise

Hi Paul, We drove from Tuscany to Venice, leaving the car at the Venice airport, north of the Island. We did not experience one dot if difficulty. We got the water bus from the airport straight into San Marco Sq. What a wonderful way to arrive in Venice, coming in across from the other Islands. Email me if you want more particulars. It took us about 1 hour in the Bus into Venice, but we stopped at various Islands on the way. Denise

Jan 15th, 1999, 01:05 PM
Rod Hoots

Having driven in and out of the parking garages in Venice for 46 years, I don't understand the apprehension. If you have a car while you're there, just follow these instructions. Venice is an island reached by a causeway from the mainland city of Mestre. Since there are no vehicles in the city, you must park your car at the end of the causeway and then go by ferry boat to your hotel. As you approach Mestre, watch for direction signs to Venice rather carefully. The route is not as well marked as you would expect. Once you get on the causeway, look carefully for signs to the "Tronchetto" parking area. The Tronchetto parking garage is very large, clean and well organized. You take a ticket from a machine on entrance and pay at a payment office on departure. After you enter the Tronchetto garage go as close as you can to the far end, because that is where the ferry boats depart. Just park your car (of course lock it and don't leave anything in sight) and then walk out the end of the garage. You will see a one story building in front of you (this is where you pay on departure) and the ferry boat dock is just beyond it to the left. There are signs in English for just about everything. Take the #1 ferry to San Marco and you'll get a free tour of the Grand Canal.

Jan 15th, 1999, 07:29 PM
joel

Here's yet another solution, Paul. My wife and I simply stay at the hotel Bologna right across the street from the train station in Mestre. The train ride is very short and very frequent to Venice; maybe 5 min tops. So we zip in on the train, see/do what we want, and come back out later. Rates are quite a bit lower in Mestre than in Venice and no hassle with your bags on the water taxis. And just to preclude any outcries from other respondents who want to assail me with tortured screams about how could I miss the opportunity to stay in a fine Venice hotel... well, that's life, folks.