Car or train from Caen to Paris?

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:49 AM
cwn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car or train from Caen to Paris?

Hi,

I'm trying to decide if it is worth using the train to get into Paris at the end of the trip.

We will be staying out side of St-Mere-Eglise so we will have to travel to a city near by to drop the car and catch the train. I think we can drop the car off at Caen.

At this point we have a Hertz car rented(Picked up in Calais, planned to drop in Paris). After reading several posts, I looked up the train schedules. It takes 2 +or- hours to travel to Paris, St Lazare. According to the route planner it takes 2 1/2 hours to drive to Paris-145 mis to center(map shows end point near Seine and Tower). We have driven from Normandy to Paris and dropped off a car and taxi to the hotel before, but it was 15 years ago. It was in July(same time of year as tihs trip).

I'm not sure based on what I have found out so far that there would really be mush travel time or hassele saved using the train. Plus I would give up the chance to see the Les Andelys area.

Has anyone done it both ways? Pros? Cons?

Thanks
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:11 AM

I suppose it depends on your comfort level of driving in Paris. It certainly is nice to take your bags, drop them in the trunk and head off to Paris where you can then drive to your hotel. Door to door service on your own time schedule is a huge plus. You dont have to drag your luggage about as much either. If you do choose to drive be SURE to avoid rush hour. Traffic can be wicked in Paris and could easily add an hour or more to your trip.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:09 AM

What day of the week?
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:16 AM
rex

Keep the car. Check out Les Andelys (Chateau Gaillard) and Vernon/Giverny.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:52 AM

I live in Paris. I would recommend dropping the car off in Caen and taking the train. Driving in Paris is confusing if you don't know your way. Also if it is a Sunday or Friday you will get in to terrible traffic entering Paris. I don't know about Hertz but Avis usually has offices right next to the stations in France
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 04:12 AM

Or leave the car at CDG and taxi to your hotel.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

MorganB-those were my thoughs exactly.

My husband does not really mind driving anywhere. We have driven into Paris before. I don't remember a thing about it, so it must have been a non-event!

Rex-that is what I would really like to do!

Dave-in-Paris-we will be travelling on Thursday, and can and do plan to head to Paris after breakfast.

I can see why people suggest dropping the car at a smaller city, especially if there will be a big time advantage, but hasseling luggage, finding taxis or other transportation into Paris seems like as big a pain as messing with traffic. Plus I can't see that we save much time.

Thanks!

We