Versailles in early March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip with my parents and my kids and we will only be in Paris 4 nights. I was planning on spending about a half of a day at Versailles, but now I'm wondering if it would be a good use of our short time as I hear that the Hall of Mirrors is under rennovations and I'm not sure what the gardens will be like during the second week of March. Could anyone please advise me? Thanks!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:48 AM

I've been at Versailles quite a few times in March, and the gardens aren't a highlight that time of year. But despite the Hall of Mirrors being under construction there is still a wealth of stuff to see. In addition to the palace itself there's the Grand and Petit Trianons, Marie Antoinette's Hameau, and the grounds (worth at least peeking at the amazing layout even if nothing's in bloom and the fountains aren't running).

On the other hand, if this is your first trip to Paris, the city alone will keep you plenty occupied for 4 days.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
When I visited Versailles in March, I took the tram to the Petit and Grand Trianons instead of walking through the gardens. At that time of year the gardens were bare, and the grounds are extensive, so unless you want to take a long walk you can find the tram behind the palace and take it for a small fee.

Unless someone in your group has always wanted to see Versailles, it would not be at the top of my list for a short visit.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:10 AM

It also means smaller crowd, so you may actually be able to see something in the rooms.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:02 AM

I would definitely agree with Nikki, unless someone in your group has a strong desire to see Versailles I'd skip it. There really isn't much to see other than empty rooms and not great art.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:19 AM

If this is your first time to Paris, I would skip Versailles on a four-night stay. There's just so much to see in Paris.

That said, for those who visit Versailles, I recommend taking a guided tour (in English) of areas not open to the general public. I recall it includes furnished State Apartments and the opera house/theater.

Woody
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:27 AM

I think Nikki mentioned to 'skip it' only because the overall time in Paris is so short - I do not think she was implying that there "isn't much to see", which is a ridiculous statement IMHO.
Versailles is the largest palace in France - yes, much of the furniture was removed during the Revolution, but there is very much to see, not only in the chateau itself but the Trianons, hameau and grounds (flowers or not; there aren't that many flowered grounds anyway).

I will agree that if you plan to return to Paris, then you might save Versailles for another time.

http://www.chateauversailles.fr/en/
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Okay, what about a visit to Versailles the first week in April? Any better?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:55 AM

ON a four day trip, I wouldn't make Versailles a priority in any season.
In cold or rainy weather, also a no.
Paris in early April can have weather either springlike or winterlike, so I'd wait until I got there to decide.
The interiors though are just gorgeous, and the place is a treasure even if the gardens aren't blooming.
Even with the Hall of Mirrors under renov, they've left a couple of mirrors available to see. There's plenty else to see though and I don't think of the rooms as empty. Most of those on the tour are beautifully and fully furnished, not to mention the wall paintings, moldings, mirrors, and carpets.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

I was afraid of that, many not recommending the trip. I just tried to approach my daughter on the subject, but alas, no, her heart is set on it. (She read the American Girl book "Cecile" from the girls around the world set and it takes place mainly at Versailles). So maybe I'll do the tram ride through the gardens, as suggested. Am I right that there is a horse and carriage ride as well? Thanks again for your helpful responses.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
In that case, by all means go and enjoy it. I found that the things my daughter had her heart set on turned out great, even though I wouldn't have necessarily selected them myself. It is wonderful for her to feel a connection to the places you go, and the more places your kids are invested in, the more fun everyone will have.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 02:49 PM

If your daughter's got her heart set on it, go! She'll be absolutely amazed!

Empty rooms and not great art - HUH? That must've been some other Versailles that Margaretb visited. It's the most opulent place imaginable!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:03 PM

I don't know about the horse and carriage, and I don't know if in March they would be available, but when we did Versailles with my daughter and son we used bicycleds they had available and biked from spot to spot on the grounds instead of walking and found that fun - so that may be an option if you don't want to do the tram.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Did not see carriages at Versailles, March 2004.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:15 PM

- <b>horse-drawn carriage rides</b> through the Gardens, North Terrace departure point – www.caleches-versailles.com

- <b>electric vehicles</b> accessible for persons with limited mobility make it possible for you to wander along five itineraries, departure point South Terrace (discovery of the Gardens, Trianon and the Queen’s Hamlet, tour of the Grand Canal, complete visit of the Estate)

- <b>tourist train</b> shuttle, departure point North Terrace, will take you as far as the Trianon Estate, then to “La Petite Venise” and return - www.train-versailles.com

We rode bikes on the back grounds this past September, but were unsuccessful in getting anyone to come man the rental kiosk in cooler season (October specifically). The bike rental is at the head of the grand canal, just beyond/behind the public toilets building.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:22 PM

There are restrooms near the entrance to the gardens, but not in the gardens themselves as far as I could tell, so plan accordingly.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Do we really need to worry about details like restrooms? There are restrooms at the grounds. For example, behind the restuaurant that's next to Bassin d'Apollon.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Well, yes, it's a good thing to know the restrooms' location ahead of time. That way you don't have to waste time trying to find it when you really need it!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:43 PM

There are restrooms in the palace and in the gardens near the Grand Canal.

They are important because Versailles is a big place and one typically spends several hours there.

Opinions on Versailles vary considerably. I find that it is not as fabulous as it is said to be, but some people find it so. Others agree with me, and some consider it a total waste of time.

It's true that relatively few rooms in the palace are furnished; most of the furnishings were auctioned off after the Revolution, and since the sales were legal, the French government can only get them back by buying them&mdash;at a cost of several million dollars each, in some cases.

The King's desk is still in the palace and can be seen on the guided tours. The (entirely wooden) Opera and chapel are interesting. But the fact remains that it's mostly empty rooms. Yes, the rooms are very ornate, but the decorations don't bear close examination very well&mdash;even in those days, sometimes workers cut corners.

The Hall of Mirrors was a technological marvel when it was built, because mirrors were an expensive luxury in those days, even in small sizes (and this hall had one complete wall covered with mirrors). However, the actual quality of the mirrors is very poor by modern standards; you can find better at any home-improvement store.

The gardens are even larger than they appear to be, and actually visiting them requires hours and a great deal of walking (trams help, but they aren't free). The walk to the Queen's Hamlet, a popular spot in the gardens, takes about 20-30 minutes. Finding places in the gardens in itself requires a good map and/or GPS sometimes.

The rock bottom time required to visit Versailles is a good 2.5 hours. It takes about 25 minutes to get there from central Paris by train. Lots and lots of walking is required, some of it on unstable and huge cobblestones or on dirt/grass. There are few options for refreshment or eating, although there is a McDonald's in the area (and an extensive commercial district not too very far away).

Versailles is probably not a practical goal for very short visits to Paris (1-3 days), unless one is absolutely bound and determined to see it.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM

There are a few options for refreshments on the grounds, but there are many cafes in the town, situated on the side streets surrounding the grand entrance/plaza..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -