Car in Cinque Terre?

Jul 21st, 2001, 07:11 AM
DougD

Car in Cinque Terre?

We will be in Italy in October, and one of our last stops will be Riomaggiore (Edi's). We will have a car while in Tuscany, but our question is - should we drive into Riomaggiore, or leave the car in La Spezia and take the train? I don't mind driving, providing I can find a place to leave the car in Riomaggiore, and providing the mountain roads aren't too long and gruelling. We do need to get to a place to stay outside the airport in Milan the next day; would this be feasable via train from Cinque Terra?

Jul 21st, 2001, 11:48 AM
robin k

Doug:

My initial response after reading your query is to leave the car in La Spezia & take the train. BUT then as I see that you need to get to Milan, then thought you may want to keep the car. Train from La Spezia to Milan is feasible (I've done it on my past 2 visits to Italy), however the trip takes 3 hours --- and that's 3 hrs into central train station in Milan; from there you'll need to take either the shuttle bus or Malpensa Express train out to Malpensa Airport.

Have you contacted Edi's to ask if they have parking or can recommend where you can leave your car while staying there? I've not driven to the CT, but assuming roads are similar to drive to Portovenere, it won't be difficult. Think your biggest challenge is around the parking issue.

Jul 22nd, 2001, 08:04 PM
topper

other input?

Jul 22nd, 2001, 08:31 PM
russ i

There is parking just outside of Riomaggiore, and driving there is very easy. As long as you are planning on taking the train from town to town or walking, then you should be fine.

Aug 19th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Sandy

I'll be staying 3 days in Portovenere next month. I will have a car (& the hotel does have parking) Is it easy to get to Riomaggiore by car from there & then do the train from town to town? Where else would be good to visit in the area?

Thanks!

Aug 19th, 2001, 01:44 PM
robin-k

-

Sandy:
You can take the boat from Portovenere to Riomaggiore. However, be aware that last return trip departs Riomaggiore for Portovenere @6:30 pm (this is per schedule that I picked up when at the CT in May of this year).

Don't have personal experience on how the drive is between these two towns.

Aug 19th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Sandy

Since the last boat is at 6:30, maybe driving would be better. Anyone's opinion on driving from Portovenere to Riomaggiore vs. train from La Spezia to Riomaggiore?

Thanks!

Aug 19th, 2001, 07:41 PM
Karen

The train is sooo easy and inexpensive, I would highly recommend it. We took the train from Turin for a weekend trip to the Cinque Terre. We stay up north in Lavagna and took the train down everyday...hiked, then caught the train back. If you take the train and go from the coast to a big city, avoid Sunday afternoon; it was extremely crowded.

Aug 20th, 2001, 08:16 AM
dale

My recommendation:

1. Dump the car in Tuscany and train to La Spezia and Riomaggiore.

2. CT is accessible three ways: by train, by boat and by foot. Who needs a car?

3. When you leave, take the train to Genoa where you can connect (at the station) with a bus directly to Malpensa.

Aug 20th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Meredith

Doug,

When we rented from Edi in Riomaggiore, he also gave us a parking spot in a garage for just a little bit more money. I don't know how many spots he has, but we were there in November and had no problem getting one. Once you park the car, you definitely will not use it again until you leave Cinque Terre.

The drive from La Spezia to Riomaggiore isn't far at all. I don't remember exactly how long it was, but I'd guess five or ten miles. The road is twisty and a bit harrowing (for me, anyway), but it is so beautiful. Believe me - if I can drive that stretch of road, then anyone can!!