Search

Car hire from Amsterdam, through Brussels and France

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2024, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car hire from Amsterdam, through Brussels and France

Hi all

I am collecting a car in Schipol airport, and will then take a week of driving through Brussels and France, I have read that I need a hi viz per person for both Brussels and France, is this the same in Amsterdam? Or will I need to bring my own.

Do I need a Crit'Air sticker, if I'm not planning to go through any French cities?

My itinerary will be:

Saturday - Ypres
Sunday - Somme
Monday travel to Disneyland Paris
Tues/ wed spend at Disneyland Paris
Thurs head to Verdun
Friday head to Mons
Saturday back to airport

I have drafted each day using Google Maps, with around 6 landmarks per day, and driving time is around 3 hours a day, except for a couple of 4 hour days, travelling in June, so should be plenty of daylight to allow 1 to 2 hours per spot, it may be tight, but as we have a car it will make it a lot more flexible for missing a spot, or if time is going well, then pulling into somewhere en route.

Thanks for taking the time to look and all feedback is appreciated
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 11:02 AM

The car may have them, but since they don't take up much room you could bring your own hi viz vest just to be on the safe side. You have to have them in the car where they can be reached easily in case you need them, not buried in your luggage somewhere.
I expect service stations sell them too, especially near the border or in Belgium.
Our own Dutch car came with 4 of them, as I think do most but hire companies are different, and they are the sort of thing that some people will decide to keep for themselves.
You won't need a Crit'Air sticker for that part of France. Disneyland is outside the Paris zone. Places like Reims however do have LEZs and need them. You can find where they are needed online if you search.
In the case of extreme pollution (smog) then a greater area around Paris needs one or you are not allowed to drive, and the same is true around Lille.
There are also LEZ in Belgium but you will not be affected by those in a newish rental car
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 12:47 PM

Ypres and Mons are not part of the LEZs. The LEZs are Antwerp, Ghent and Brussels. If your car happens to be a Dutch car then the government already has its data and it can drive in the LEZs without being reported.

Have a nice trip!

Lavandula
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 01:51 PM

Should probably clarify - the above cities are all in Belgium, so you will not be affected by the LEZs based on where you say you will be.

Lavandula
Old Jan 26th, 2024, 12:36 AM

Which is basically what I said in my post as well.
Old Jan 26th, 2024, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the replies, it has defintely put my mind at ease a bit