Car ferry from Menaggio to Varenna in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wanting to leave Menaggio early in the morning in November. I was hoping to catch the car ferry across to Varenna and then travel via Lecco to Brescia and then across to Cinque Terra in the one day, hence an early morning take off, because time is of the essence. The car ferry time table only goes until end October, however when you search further via ferry web sites they do give more info re times November to February. It is very hard to understand what time they do start taking vehicles and not just pedestrians. Would anybody be able to help me to confirm what is the earliest time I can drive our car on to a Menaggio ferry to Varenna on 5th November 2010? Maybe I am better off staying the night before in Varenna instead of Menaggio for a second night, if there are any properties open in Varenna that time of year.
I would appreciate any help
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 12:21 AM

I find your route strange unless you specifically want to go to Brescia. Is there a reason for this?
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

I was hoping someone would pick up on that, it does seem the long way to go. I am meeting with someone for 2 hours in Brescia, otherwise I would have taken the direct route. Would you have any info on the car ferries in November?
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 07:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't save time by taking the ferry from Menaggio to Varenna and driving to Brescia from there. In fact, it would probably take longer.

Spending the prior night in Varenna and starting from there saves about 15 minutes over Menaggio to Brescia, but your hotel options in Varenna in November will be more limited than those in Menaggio.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

I should have explained myself better in the first place. I went to Lecco many, many years ago and I want to just drive through it on the way to Brescia, just for memories sake.

I am still trying to find out what time the car ferries start from Mennagio to Varenna on 5th November 2010.
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 08:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you staying at a hotel in Menaggio? I'd ask them before relying on the past experience of anyone here.

Or try emailing the Tourist Info Office in Menaggio:

http://www.menaggio.com/new/lista2.php?padre1=18

Or TI in Varenna:

http://www.varennaitaly.com/english.html
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 09:21 PM

You wouldn't be alone in thinking that the ferry schedule is confusing to read and to understand.

If you look at the web site again, you'll see that the schedule for the "traghetto" is actually valid until 16 April 2011. The PDF file (see link below) also indicates the car ferry schedule is in effect from October to 16 April of next year.

It looks like you can leave Menaggio on a car ferry as early as 6:40 in the morning on a weekday (then again at 7:55am and 8:45am). If you are taking the ferry on a Sunday or holiday, the times are indicated in yellow (I don't believe 5 Nov is a holiday.)

The contact info for the company that runs the ferrys is:
Tel. +39 (0)31.579.211 - Fax. +39(0)31.570.080

I hope this helps!

Here's the link to the PDF file: http://www.navlaghi.it/ita/com/ora_a...0Traghetto.pdf
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Jean and Family Friendly Italy, many thanks for the info. I did try a website but it was a bit confusing in English. I will try your recommendations. Any recommendations for Hotel and restaurants in Menaggio?
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 06:12 AM

I have just called Navigazione dei Laghi and they confirm that the first sailings from Menaggio to Varenna are at 6.40 7.55 8.45 and 9.20 Crossing time about 15 minutes and cost for a car not exceeding 3.5 metres is Euro 6.80 including driver plus Euro 3.60 per passenger
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 06:24 AM

I have several restaurant recommendations for you. Menaggio itself isn't the best town if you are a foodie. But it's a small town and if you get out of the town center, into the hills or you go to nearby towns, you can find some real gems. If you have a car, you can get to these places on your own. I took a private taxi.

La Baita is in the hills above Menaggio, in a "frazione" called Paullo. The drive up will take you through the woods. Simple but delicious home cooking in a beautiful setting. You can search on Google for La Baita to see reviews. Here is the address:
http://www.menaggio.com/new/lista2.php?padre1=155

Il Crotto del Buba is similar to La Baita. A taxi driver shared this restaurant recommendation with me. It's even further up into the hills than La Baita in a town (frazione) called Grandola ed Uniti. The view is spectacular. You can see Lake Lugano as well as Lake Como (but maybe not on a November evening--too dark). Heaping plates of hot polenta and other simple, very rustic dishes. I had the buckwheat pasta.

Other great places include Al Veluu in Rogaro, just above Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo. Beautiful setting. Gracious hosts. The food is excellent. Try the perch which comes from the lake.

Also Al Darsena in Tremezzo is wonderful. It is on the water and the food and presentation are great.

I stayed in an apartment in Menaggio, so I don't have any personal hotel recommendations. I think Grand Hotel Victoria gets the best reviews of the lot.

I really loved Menaggio and the surrounding areas. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 06:29 AM

What is your hotel budget?
If 3 star, look at Bellavista and Du Lac.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 06:30 AM

beaufort If it is many years since you were last in Lecco you will find that there is now a tunnel which avoids the town centre of Lecco altogether so if you are not careful you will be past Lecco before you notice. This tunnel has transformed the town of Lecco which was a real bottleneck, especially the weekends during the winter when all the Milanese were travelling to and from the Valtellina for a bit of skiing.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

bob, notchblad and FFI, a big thanks for that info and also making the phone call notchblad, that is very good of you. Just confirming those car ferry times quoted are also available for 5th November arent they? I will keep on the lookout for the Lucca turnoff before I go into the tunnel. Some of those restaurant places you mentioned FFI, sound very good and I would like to try at least one or two of them. I like to drink a good drop of wine with dinner, so I would be cautious about driving. If you caught a taxi to these places in the hills at night in November, would you have no problem getting a taxi back to Menaggio? My budget for Menaggio Hotel is about 180Euro per night for a quality double room. I was looking at the Grand Hotel Victoria website because it seemed like one of the few open then. Is it the best one to go with for 2 nights? I dont have to stay in Menaggio, it could be Tremezzo or somewhere close that is easy to catch ferries and easy to get around with places that are open then.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM

Hi beaufort,
Personally, I think Menaggio makes a wonderful base. It is the biggest of the towns of the mid-lake area, so I thought it was best for ferry connections. (That said, Menaggio is a town, not a city, and the centro storico is not very big at that.) There is also more to see on the west side of the lake that you can drive to. In Bellagio you're dependent on ferries to see much of the rest of the lake (and in winter, you'll notice fewer ferry connections between towns). At least form Menaggio you can drive south or north to see other towns (Villa Carlotta and Villa Balbianello are on the west side of the lake too).

Regarding taxis at night, if you let the restaurant know you need a taxi, they'll call one for you. You can also try Carlo Erba cell +39 339.3136825 or [email protected]. He is a local driver, and very nice.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

That is great info FFI, thank you once again. I will definitely stay in Menaggio. Can Carlo speak English and are all of those restaurants you mentioned liscensed?
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 07:10 PM

I am not sure if Carlo speaks English (we spoke Italian) but I believe he does. But in any event, if you write the name of your destination down, you'll get there without a problem. He's entirely trustworthy.

As for licensed, I suspect you are asking in the British English sense of the word--do they serve alcohol? if that is the question, then indeed they do. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you mean, but all the places I mention are excellent and of very high quality.

Send an update on your trip when you return! Buon viaggio!