Search

Car drive in Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2016, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car drive in Scotland

Hi,
We plan to go to Scotland around 25th of May 2016 with 2 kids (13 and 8) from India. I would be conscious of cost also

We plan to fly from London heathrow either to Glasgow or Inverness and then do 5-6 in Scotland and use car to move around. We have done Edinburgh few years back, so even if we don't do that, it is fine.

What is advisable - going from LHR to Glasgow by flight and then use car OR
- going from LHR to Inverness by flight and then use car
which are good car routes and must to be done.
What are the places and suggested itinerary, we must consider.
Which are good & economical car rental companies. Also kindly suggest good and reasonable accomodations and cities/towns which should be considered for staying purpose

Need help
Thanks in anticipation
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 03:07 AM

Imho you don't need to go quite as far north as Inverness to see the very best of the scenery, so if it were me, I would probably fly (or get the train) up to Glasgow, then pick up the car there and head north, past Loch Lomond, up through Glencoe and then further north to the Applecross peninsula and Torridon. You might also manage some time on Skye, since it's just across the water from Applecross.

You could also do some of this route if your starting point was Inverness. I think if that were the case I'd head north and across to Ullapool first, then south via Loch Ewe and Loch Maree, through Torridon/Applecross and back to Inverness via Fort Augustus. I suspect you are considering Inverness for Loch Ness and if that's the case I would say it is far from the nicest loch in Scotland and your time really would be better spent elsewhere, hence option 1 is my preference.

With 5-6 days starting from Glasgow you have time to get up to say, Lochcarron or Kyle of Localsh, base yourself there, and have 3-4 days with day trips out and about before driving home (ie write off 1 day at each end of the trip for driving to and from Glasgow). With the Inverness option the route is a more manageable circle so you could theoretically stop at different hotels or B&Bs en-route ie not bother with a specific base. Up to you.

I like Europcar for budget and Avis for something a bit more luxe.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 03:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're not bothered about seeing Edinburgh again, then stay on the west side of Scotland and make it an island holiday. The first thing to recognise is that with such a short length of time, you can't hope to see an enormous amount of the country, so fly up to Inverness from LHR, then drive down to Glasgow for your return flight.

From Inverness, drive across to Skye and spend a couple of nights, then the same on Mull. Maybe then an overnight in Inverary and back to Glasgow. With a one way car hire, you'll need to use one of the large rental companies as the local ones in Inverness either won't do the one way, or will charge a fortune to recover their vehicle.

For Skye stay in Portree, Mull stay in Tobermory. With an eight year old, I'd guess that you won't want to be doing long walks, so stay in the towns with something going on and a choice of restaurants and hotels.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
We plan to go to Scotland around 25th of May 2016 with 2 kids (13 and 8) from India. I would be conscious of cost also and my budget for double room will be 50-60GBP per night.

We plan to fly from London Heathrow either to Glasgow or Inverness and then do 5-6 in Scotland and use car to move around. We have done Edinburgh few years back, so even if we don't do that, it is fine but we want to do Lake District and fairy islands

What is advisable - going from LHR to Glasgow by flight and then use car OR
- going from LHR to Inverness by flight and then use car

which are good car itinerary routes and must to be done. Does it turn out to be cheaper than bus/train/flight (sorry for a stupid question). Also please keep in mind that we would like to fly back to London and we are even Ok to fly from one major Scottish city to another city also by flight (provided it is not exhorbitant)

What are the places and suggested itinerary, we must consider.

Which are good & economical car rental companies. Also kindly suggest good and reasonable accommodations and cities/towns which should be considered for staying purpose - with hotels/B&B etc with breakfast included.

Need help
Thanks in anticipation
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks RM67 and Rubicund. Appreciate your help
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 08:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I would be conscious of cost also and my budget for double room will be 50-60GBP per night.<<

Instead of 2 double rooms which will typically cost between £50-ish and £100 each, look for family rooms sleeping 2 adults and 2 children which can be found for around £60 to £100+ per night.
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. We have finally got tickets to Glasgow from LHR and return also from Glasgow as direct flts to/from Inverness were not available for redemption.

So we will be driving from Glasgow. Pl suggest best options to travel for driving (and kindly give staying options also - both towns/hotels/house stays etc). Also since we will be coming back to Glasgow: Pl suggest economical local car rental companies.
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 04:45 AM

We've found Auto Europe to be the most economical for car rental. In past trips they've been easy to deal with, and get good customer satisfaction ratings. No hidden surprises either!

In fact, the price has already gone down $140 CAD since we booked and paid, and we had no trouble getting a refund on our cc for the difference.
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 06:52 AM

to explain -- autoeurope the sugarmaple mentions is a broker, not a rental agency. They are terrific, and will usually get you the best rates with whichever company fits your plans.

You could end up at Hertz or Avis or Europcar or someoen else, but have booked through autoeurope.

This is the second time you have asked us to plan your itinerary -- and some of us could certainly do that. But then it would be <i>our</i> trip. So first -- tell us what sorts of things do <i>you</i> want to see and do?

In an earlier post you mention >>Lake District and fairy islands<< What us the 'Fairy Islands? Do you mean the Fairy Pools? The Lake District is not in Scotland and is the opposite direction from the Fairy Pools (or Fairy Glen - if that is what you meant). So you are kind of all over the place. Do you want Scotland - or do you want the Lake District - or both?

How many days do you actually have from arrival at GLA to your flight out?
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 10:26 AM

We rented a car from Arnold Clark at the Glasgow airport for a similar trip in 2014. Actually, we were coming from central Glasgow, so we took a train to a nearby station and they picked us up there. Arnold Clark had been recommended to us by several people and we were very pleased with their service. We turned the car in at the Edinburgh airport.

I recommend a stop along Loch Lomond on your way north. We stopped at Tarbet, which was a lovely little nontouristy town along the loch. The town of Luss, a bit further south is much more touristic. You can take boat tours on the loch from both places.

I have a trip report from our driving tour in Scotland, which was a little shorter than yours will be, and we didn't get as far north. You may find parts of it useful, though.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-june-2014.cfm
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 10:34 AM

Agree with much of what RM67 says in the first post above. I would head east to the glencoe area and isle of Skye. If the children like Harry Potter you may consider the clachaig inn where filming occurred (and rooms for 4 are available at a reasonable rate) and of course the Jacobite train from fort Williams to mallaig.

I also would drive to the isle of Skye and find a bed and breakfast and explore for a couple of days.
Old Apr 11th, 2016, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies and patience.
We are in Scotland from May 26th morning till May 29th evening and then back to LHR.

@ Janisj: I meant Fairy pools only. We want to do only scotland (I thought fairy pool/LD is a part of Scotland only)
The time I posted, we were a blank slate. And we are even now ready to turn and twist the plan, as nothing except air tickets have been booked. Thanks Sugarmaple/ bvlenci/RoamEurope and Janisj
Old Apr 11th, 2016, 06:35 AM

>>Janisj: I meant Fairy pools only<< OK great -- it was just that you mentioned the "Fairy Islands" so I wasn't sure if you meant the place on Skye or someplace else.

It now looks like you have 3 nights/3.5 days (or slightly less depending on what time you arrive at Glasgow and get your car).

That is not a very long time but If it was me -- I'd drive straight through to Skye (GLA to Portree will take about 5.5 or 6 hours -- Don't stop except for rest and maybe a few quick photo ops. Take the bridge to Skye. That will eat up a lot of day one. You will see a lot of pretty scenery but you do need to get to Skye so press on. Stay nights of 26/27 on Skye.

See the Fairy Pools and other gorgeous parts of northern Skye on the 27th (but you won't see a lot of the island really in just the one free day)

On the 28th explore a little of southern Skye then take an early afternoon ferry to Mallaig and see the "Harry Potter' train viaduct, Glenfinnan and Glencoe spending the whole rest of the day exploring as you head south. Stay the night in Glencoe.

On the 29th drive to Glasgow -- how much you can see/ what detours you can take depends on what time you need to be back at the airport in time to turn in the car and catch your flight.