Car a must in the Yorkshire Dales?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to do a farm holiday in this beautiful region. Was wondering if it's as problematic as the Cotswolds regarding public transportation. I'm a tad leery of driving on the left, although perhaps it wouldn't be as horrific up here? Comments, reassurances? Thanks
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 06:58 PM

Having traveled through the area, I do not think it would be very practical not to have a car. Plus, you will find that driving through the lovely countryside is one of the highlights of your trip. It is not that difficult to master the driving on the left. And out in the countryside there is not too much traffic - and everyone is very courteous.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 07:13 PM

I drove thru England for 3 weeks and can't imagine doing it without a car. The trouble with trains is you're so contricted. I picked up a car outside London, drove to York then on to the eastern side of England, south, west and back to London Heathrow. Yes, it's a little scary starting out on the left side of the road (definitely get a road sign map from your rental agency) and I made a couple of boo-boos but was able to correct quickly, but what you'd give up with train travel is the opportunity to visit villages along the way. Rural England should be seen by car. Hope this reassures you and feel free to contact me at [email protected]
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:37 PM

Actually there is more public transport in the Cotswolds than in many parts of the Dales. So if you thought that was "problematic", then double it for the Dales.

However - it is not impossible. There is some bus service and you can find drivers in most villages - just like in The Cotswolds.

You would have an easier time with a car - and except for during August you won't run into much traffic.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 11:13 PM

I live in the Yorkshire Dales area. I would definitely recommend a car.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 11:44 PM

Meant to add more, sorry. My nick, BrimhamRocks, is a reference to a really cool spot in the Yorkshire Dales called Brimham Rocks, that has huge natural rock formations. It is very popular with rock climbers who want to practice their rapelling, rambler groups, and families wanting to have a picnic somewhere. It's been one of my favorite places since the first time we came to live in the UK, in '94.

Just a few websites to provide you with some info on the Yorkshire Dales/North York Moors:

http://www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/seegde/index.html

http://moors.uk.net/

http://www.yorkshire-dales.com/

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/

http://www.northyorks.com/

http://www.herriotcountry.com/

You're right, the Yorkshire Dales and surrounding areas are simply gorgeous! You will enjoy your visit, I promise!
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 05:16 AM
jmw

But BrimhamRocks, for the stubborn among us, isn't there a way to toodle around using buses -- if we promise not to be sticklers for schedule? It's not the left of the road that's the problem, it's the right side of the car! Besides, I still have fond memories of the little buses of the Dr. Harriot series. What can I say, I'm oldish. J. (If you're not too disgusted, advise me of the local bus system website, thanks.)

Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:41 AM

HI,

I did a little tour of the Yorkshire Dales last summer without a car, using the train and bus, but it does require a bit of planning because many routes have limited schedules. We went from York to Castle Howard on the York Coastliner bus, which makes lots of stops around the Dales; Took the Settle-Carlisle railway to Carlisle (that required taking the train from York>>Leeds>>Settle; From Carlisle I took the Hadrian's Wall bus all along the Wall; We took a train from Carlisle to Whitby (changed trains in Middlesbrough); Went from Whitby back to York via the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (from Grosmont to Pickering, then the Coastliner bus again from Pickering to York.) There's also the Moorsbus which picks up and drops off and various towns in the Dales. I believe all of the busses and trains I mentioned above have websites with schedules so maybe you can see if they would work for you. Good luck!

Patti
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:49 AM
jmw

Thanks, Patti!

Old Jun 12th, 2003, 07:07 AM

I live just over an hour away and the Dales have been one of my favourite areas anywhere for many years now. However I can't help wondering where or when some people went there as I find some of the remarks on traffic pretty odd.
I am quite a public transport addict but there can be no doubt you are very restricted without a car in the Dales. Some of the most delightful roads never see a bus.
I don't want to put you off - I think it can't be harder than for us to drive in the Pyrenees and I have really enjoyed that. When you are on a narrow road and have to pull in to pass an approaching vehicle, it can be easier being on the 'wrong' side as the wall or drop or whatever is just beside you BUT these empty roads - where are they.
Many a time in Wharfedale [one of the best] we have been in a row of slow traffic behind a couple of tourist coaches with no chance of passing and often the small twisting roads round Malham are fairly packed with traffic. So do come and hire a car but do leave what seems more than sufficient time for your journeys you'll be OK then if you are a good driver on the 'correct' side.
If you care to e-mail me, I'll send you my notes on Yorkshire.
Lastly, to reply to a specific question, the site asked about is http://website.lineone.net/~travelinfo/dales/
[email protected]
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Well I come home from work overwhelmed with thoughtful, terrific replies to my question. Just incredibly helpful. I thank you all. I was last in the Dales over 15 years ago as a "passenger" and just remember it seeming remote enough compared to other parts of England to pull off driving in.
I just have this memory of being driven by a friend through Devon in the mid-1980s. We were in the second week of our holiday, when he suddenly yelled at me. He had been driving on the right-hand side for about half a mile, and I hadn't noticed. That's always stayed with me.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:50 PM

Hi jmw.

Yes, one can get around using buses/trains, but as others have said, the countryside is so gorgeous, and you will more than likely want to wander around the little towns and villages.

One of the funnest (giggle) things we did when we first came to live in the UK was to "go get lost". We just packed some ham sandwiches and a few snacks, and started driving! The country roads and lanes are so charming (Unless you're stuck behind a slurry truck. GAG! But it's an essential part of the farming life, so you'll have to grin and bear it. Hold your nose, then pass him when you can!)

I've seen, but have never used, a vintage bus service in the Dales area. I *think* they are called trolleybuses. However, despite having seen them driving around the Dales, I haven't found a contact number or website for anyone running a trolleybus service. You may have more luck.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 09:54 AM

This site may be of value it contains links to many transport options in the area:
http://www.busstation.net/busuk/busukyk.htm