Capri's Blue Grotto Experience

May 1st, 2001, 07:39 AM
DJ

Capri's Blue Grotto Experience

After reading a post on someone's experience with a Blue Grotto tour (post was regarding a Trafalgar (sp?) Tour), I'm hesitant to waste my money seeing the Blue Grotto when I go to Italy in late September. Has anyone done a tour of the Blue Grotto that can share their experience? Thanks.

May 1st, 2001, 08:00 AM
Boots

I have "done" the Blue Grotto. I didn't find it the romantic experience I had seen in movies. One is transferred from one boat into a smaller one that is rowed quickly into the grotto and out again. It is a lovely place, but the experience is brief, and for me it seemed too logistics laden--Get in this boat, be careful, the water is choppy, duck your head, quick speech, duck your head again, be careful as you transfer to next boat, etc. If it has been your dream, go. I believe in doing everything once. How else would I know what the experience was like. You say you are hesitant to waste your money. Perhaps you should spend it on something else. Enjoy Capri!

May 1st, 2001, 08:02 AM
Judy

Hi DJ, when we were in Naples, I was almost tempted to do the trip to the Blue Grotto, I never did hear any reports about it however, anyone lately? It sounded lovely in hte guidebooks... Judy

May 1st, 2001, 08:46 AM
steve

with all there is to see up top on Capri, it's a shame to waste several hours going to the blue grotto. It's just not worth the time, which is even more important than the money.

On the other hand, if you do the amalfi coast, between Positano and Amalfi, right near Praiano, there is another grotto, the "green grotto" which takes much less time, is accessible directly from the road, and is just as enjoyable as the blue grotto is if you enjoy it at all. You go down an elevator, and paddle around on a small boat for about 20 people. The best thing is it only takes an hour or so.

May 1st, 2001, 09:14 AM
carol

Well, you have to take the entire Blue Grotto experience into consideration. I certainly enjoyed it when I was younger--all that climbing in and out of little boats, making like a limbo-dancer going into the grotto, all the postcard vendors surrounding you in their rowboats--it was a scene like nothing I've ever experienced again. And the blue light in the grotto was extraordinary for the short time we were in there. I've also been to the Green Grotto and didn't think it compared to the Blue. But Boots' description is really accurate and if it turns you off--don't go.

May 1st, 2001, 11:50 AM
Linda

Everyone to their own thing! I personally loved the Blue Grotto and thought it was well worth my time and the (to me) minor hassle involved. Besides, getting from one boat to another is an experience in itself! Please be aware that if the sea is at all high, Blue Grotto visits will be cancelled, so the decision may be made for you.

May 1st, 2001, 03:39 PM
kathryn.

DJ - in your message re: Blue Grotto you mentioned that you were going to Italy in late Sept. We are going on TT and leaving on the 22nd. When are you going? I have also read the info on the Grotto experience and am reluctant to go.

May 1st, 2001, 03:42 PM
Laurina

I visited the Blue Grotto last year in May. It was beautiful! I think it is well worth the trip. You should check on the tide and weather conditions. This could make or break your trip.

May 1st, 2001, 05:46 PM
Andrea

Visiting the Blue Grotto was a very memorable experience for me. Although I had a very different experience than everyone else. After five o'clock all of the boats leave and tourists are allowed to swim into the blue grotto. I was nervous at first but there were tons of people jumping into the water. It was beautiful inside the Grotto and the colors were fabulous. Definitely an experience I would not give up.

May 1st, 2001, 07:28 PM
mo

I went to the BG in 1967 and have never forgotten it. If you're there, why not experience this phenomenon that few you meet in years to come will have experienced. Better to go than regret it later. It will definitely not be a waste of time or money. Don't get so caught up in all the don't waste your... advice--go and enjoy--it is very beautiful.

May 1st, 2001, 08:19 PM
zz-top

It's ONLY beautiful if the sun is shining. A cloudy day when I entered the Blue Grotto & was not able to get the full experience. I know you're entering a cave, but there's something to do with sun shining thru rocks or however the effect is created.

I have to agree that it was a waste of time & money. If you truly crave a 'grotto moment' then it'd be much easier to visit the "Esmerelda Grotto" (green grotto) that's just off the main road between Positano & Amalfi.

May 2nd, 2001, 07:29 AM
DJ

Kathyrn,

My husband & I will be flying into Naplyes from Venice on 9/23 and transferring to our hotel in Sorrento. We'll be staying until the 27th. It sounds as though you will have left by then? Otherwise I'd suggest we meet for a drink. Have a great time. Thank you everyone for your input. I will consider the weather (the suns rays are required to refract the light through the water), the roughness of the sea and perhaps we'll try it. You only live in this world once.

May 3rd, 2001, 06:28 AM
bob

First, it is best on a sunny day. Second, I agree with the other email to do it after 5 when the guide boats leave. Jump in the water and swim in and around for an incredible sight. We actually rented a zodiac boat in the marina and toured the whole coast. This way you can explore more coves and grottos. At the end of the day tied up the boat and swam in. Delightful!

May 3rd, 2001, 08:56 AM
Jack

I think the only way to know whether it is worth your time or a waste of money is to experience it. Each person has his own opinion about the blue grotto and they are entitled to it. You'll probably end up second-guessing soebody unless you do it.

Just my two cents.

May 5th, 2001, 05:15 PM
gail

How much does it cost to take the tour?
gail

May 10th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Sandy

My husband & I just returned from Italy and the whole Capri/BG experience. What a rat race! I would absolutely recommend getting on an early hydrofoil if you decide to go at all. We didn't get to the marina until about 10am therefore we waited in line about 30 minutes to buy our ticket then 45 minutes to board the boat. Once we got to Capri we immediately got in line for the BG where we waited another 30 minutes to get on a boat to the grotto. Once we got to the BG we sat in the first boat for 1 1/2 hours waiting for our turn to get in the rowboats!! All of this to spend a whooping 5 minutes in the BG while the "rower" belts out some Italian singing along with the other 6 boats in the BG! Suffice it to say, there was no one on our boat who was a very happy camper.
If you are doing Capri as a day trip I would definely skip the grotto. Much hype about nothing. Actually, I would recommend skipping the grotto no matter how much time you were spending on the island.

May 25th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Nora

Now I thought it was fun!
My friends and I never laughed
so hard as we did as the boatmen
were moving us from boat to rowboat
and back and having us duck
into the cave, then singing
o sole mio at the top of their
lungs (and out of key). Also,
trying to pay these guys, while
sitting in bobbing rowboats was
such a scene that we joined in
to the "fun" taking their pictures,
etc. It is not a serious experience,
but it is beautiful inside.

May 25th, 2001, 02:52 PM
maven

The morning, till 11 is the best time for light-also the earlier you go, the better. Prepare to wait (bring a phrase book and learn Italian). It is corny experience with the boats and all but if it is a sunny day, in the am, the color is like none other. been there twice, and the green grotto, twice. Both nice, but blue wins!Go, and judge for yourself.

May 25th, 2001, 03:17 PM
frank keller

We were at the Blue Grotto last July. Everyone is correct, it is beautiful albeit quick. As we were about to enter, my wife freaked out (she is claustrophobic)and our guide had to row us back to the launch, drop her off, and then bring us back to the Grotto. We now say "it is easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle then Lynn(my wife)to get into the Blue Grotto!

May 27th, 2001, 12:13 PM
elizabeth

To the top for Linda

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO