Capri vs Ischia for two days in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are going to have 2 days at the end of our trip, and we will be coming from a hectic 4 days visiting the Amalfi coast, Pompeii, etc. We have never been to this area of Italy and I would love to get thoughts on where you would recommend we spend our last two days. I think we will be looking for something pretty relaxing, and we love a hotel with a great ocean view, great places to walk, and possibly a little off the beaten track feeling. We will want to do some walking, and some sightseeing, but I think we will want to take it a little easy. Possibly stay on Capri and Day trip to Ischia? I do know Capri is very expensive but a number of people say it is a "must see". Thanks in advance for thoughts.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
interested in this too.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM

If you only have two days, I can't see the point of doing a daytrip. Do you mean two nights?

Capri is beautiful but it is not off the beaten track, as you know. But you can get away from the crowds there, and on Ischia, with planning. There is good walking on both islands. On Ischia, you can even walk on the slopes of a volcano. I planned a trip two years ago that was to include 5 days on Ischia and 2 on Capri. We liked Ischia so much that we changed our plans and stayed there for the entire time. There are many hotels with sea view, and also many hotels with thermal swimming pools. In addition, you can spend the day at one of the thermal parks, like Negombo, which is truly an experience! Ischia is much larger and has good bus connections.

I think you should do more reading and see which island appeals to you more. I wrote a trip report about Ischia that you might want to peek at if you have time.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-its-spell.cfm

http://www.ischiaonline.it/page.php?selang=EN

http://www.capri.net/
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ekscrunchy, I sure appreciate the feedback. I did a search on this forum and saw some of your great comments, but have not seen your trip report, so thanks for attaching. So much to see, so little time!
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 02:49 AM

As the only Englishman on the island, it's probably no great surprise that I'd encourage to come and have a look - nor that I've a different opinion on which is a "must see" !?

Although not exactly off the beaten track either, we only had some 4000 American visitors last year, mostly people returning to see family - either from New York or our twin city, Los Angles.

Photos, and a little more, here...
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

Peter
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 02:50 AM

Los Angeles, even!

Peter
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 04:47 AM

We spent 3 days/nights on Capri last fall and absolutely loved it. Our hotel was away from the center of Capri town so we didn't have the flocks of day trippers to contend with. We hiked and walked and visited both Capri town and Anacapri. The weather was perfect. The views from everywhere were exquisite. The rest of the time we spent beside the pool at our lovely hotel. The food everywhere was fabulous. I recommend Capri enthusiastically for a short stay but not for a day trip. Our one minor disappointment was that the Blue Grotto was not open during our stay.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 08:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Peter - have I mentioned before that my italian teacher is from Ischia? Definitely a reason for me to want to visit!
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback. If only I could stay for a year, maybe I could see half of what I wanted to. They both sound wonderful