Capri as a base for Alamlfi coast??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to spend a week during my two weeks trips to Italy at one place and travel from that point. I found a lovely apartment on Capri and was wondering how difficult it is to travel to Pompeii, Positano, etc. Should I consider another base?

Thanks much.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 06:59 AM

Hi Stxdeb - When are you going?

In low season, ferry connections to Positano/Amalfi are late afternoon only - so don't work for day-trips. (Connections are better in high season ...)

Ferry/hydrofoil services to Sorrento operate throughout the day, so no problem for that connection. You can reach Pompeii by train from Sorrento.

For timetables/fares to/from Capri see:
http://www.capri.net/en/ship-timetable

Hope this ehlps ...

Steve
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 06:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You don't mention the time of year. Some ferries only run in summer.

Daytripping to the coast will have to be early as the ferries do not run late.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 07:16 AM
ira

Hi st,

I think that you would be better off staying on land and visiting Capri than vice versa. Ferries don't stay up late. You could be stranded if the weather is rough. Add to that the time to get from Capri to your starting point.

Old Mar 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Bad idea---too isolated.
There are 100s of nice apts. in Positano, Sorrento , or Praiano. Take a look at www.summerinitaly.com and go crazy.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 07:29 AM

Basically you would be on the aliscafi back and forth all the time. As mentioned above, schedules and rough seas can cause havoc. They do cancel the aliscafi (jet boats) if the weather is bad so you can easily be stranded.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 08:37 AM

We will be on Capri in May - how frequently (at that time of year?) do they cancel the aliscafi? and do they cancel ALL boats or just the high speed ones? We need to get to Rome for one night and then on to catch a cruise - we do have one night in Rome just in case but I don't want to get stuck on Capri!
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM

Sorry OP, I sort of "highjacked" your thread - to answer YOUR question, I would not base on Capri to explore the coast. Sorrento works best for that IMO - but if you have the time, I'd do Sorrento for several days and then go to Capri and stay there for several nights - there is plenty to do, in a relaxed sort of way, for a four day stay.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for such prompt replies. We are thinking early May so I guess I'll find a place on the coast and perhaps do two nights in Capri. Any ideas for a central location?
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 09:06 AM

suec1: I have a lot of experience with this with Ischia. Alilauro doesn't cancel as much as others...and they should. You can check on the weather. It's hard to say how often they cancel because it depends how windy it is. It could only be for a few hours or a day. I have been on Alilauro twice when they should have canceled and didn't. All I can say is both times they almost flipped many times, people were screaming and throwing up and things were flying around the cabin. Now when it's windy and if one company cancels...I take the traghetto. I don't know how often the traghetti come and go to Capri in high season (Easter to the end of October) but it can't be too much because they don't allow you to bring cars at that time. Residents probably need it so it may be once or twice a day.

This year we bought train tickets so we have to be in Naples at a certain time. We will leave Ishcia the night before and stay in Naples to be sure we don't have a problem with the aliscafi. The traghetto doesn't leave at the time we need.