Cappadocia without a tour or car

Aug 21st, 2005, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Cappadocia without a tour or car

1. Is it feasible to visit Cappadocia without a rental car or tour? Driving is out of the question for us and I've generally avoided tours. (Hate the idea of paying someone to take me to "cultural" demonstrations for the soft sell. Had a terrible experience in China.)
2. How reliable is public transportation? We will be travelling in November and will be staying in Ugrup.
3. If a tour is the best option, any idea for a LOW cost tour? At minimum, we want to see the Goreme Open Air Museum and the underground city.

4. Has anyone seen a Whirling Dervish show? How much was it? Was it worth the cost? How did you book the tickets?

Thanks!
Aug 21st, 2005, 11:11 PM
Asia_Minor

Dear Elsio,

Cappadocia is such a vast area that it is almost impossible to see at least the highlights without a car or some sort of vehicle. Since renting a car is out of the question for you, I recommend that you take a well organized guided tour. You can try Argeus Tourism in Urgup. For travelers'reports on Argeus read

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/p...pic.php?t=1842

As for the Whirling Dervish Ritual (not show)the best place to go is Sarihan (a 13th century Seljuk Turkish Caravanserai). However, it is about 25 km. from Urgup and again you can consult the same travel agency for tickets and transportation.

With all good wishes

Aug 21st, 2005, 11:57 PM

It is certainly possible to do Cappadocia without a car, because my wife and I did. We overnight-coached (Nevtur Coachlines) from Istanbul (Topkapi terminus) to Nevsehir, then on to Urgup, where we stayed. Loved Urgup - far more 'real' and local-friendly than nearby Goreme where the 'tourists' tend to shut themselves away and where the 'accommodation touts' in Nevsihir will try to lead you.

When you ask about Cappadocia "without a tour" I assume you mean a tour that takes you there? Yes, that's possible - see my comments above re Nevtur Coachlines. But you certainly should go on a local tour when you get there. Local buses can get you (again via Nevsehir) to the underground cities of Deryinkuyu and the other one whose name escapes me at the moment, but Goreme, Zelve Valley, Avanos, Uchisar and several other unmissable places whose names also escape me right now, are best seen by local tour. There are 2 options - Cappadocia Tours and Gazi Tours. If you're arriving by coach as we did, you won't need to go looking for them - they'll be there to greet you and solicit your business as you step down from the bus!
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. How much could I expect to pay for a day tour?

twoflower,
We are currently planning to fly into Kayseri but I'm interested in your experience with the long bus ride.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:25 AM

I remember that when we went to Cappadocia, we arranged for a driver and car when we got there, rather than going on an arranged tour. It was great, as we had loads of flexibility, our driver was really nice and didn't try to take us to his friend/brother/cousin's place to look at carpets, but did take us to a place for a nice hike along a river as well as going to look at all the weird and wonderful formations and the christian hide-outs.

I don't remember how much it was, but I remember being surprised at how inexpensive it was (I was a student at the time, so didn't have loads of money). It was really easy to arrange once we got there. Probably some of the Turkish posters could give you a better idea of costs. I think we did it through the hotel...

Cappadocia is a really large area, so depending on what you want to do/see you will want to go in some kind of motorized transport. One thing you need to determine for yourselves is how much time you have there and whether you want your time to be dictated by another's schedule. I tend to prefer independent travel as I like to be able to stay somewhere longer if I want or cut something short if I want.

We also stayed in Urgup and liked it better than Goreme. We took a public bus from Fethiye to Cappadocia and found it was a surprisingly comfortable journey, with the conductor serving tea and biscuits and hot towels and sprinklings of rose and orange water, and there were a couple of comfort stops en route. I can recommend it.