Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cappadocia region - airport logistics and accommodations in Goreme?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all... my friend and I are travelling to Greece and Turkey in late June/early July of this year and would appreciate some info on the Cappadocia region. We are two Canadian females in our mid-20s, travelling on a modest budget. On our itinerary Cappadocia comes after the West coast (Kusadasi/Ephesus area) and before Istanbul. In the interest of time we are going to fly between destinations (versus driving). I have looked up a number of flights and it appears that Turkish Airlines is the best option direct from Izmir to Kayseri (through Anadolu Jet), while Pegasus comes up cheapest from Kayseri to SAW. Does anyone beg to differ with that flight pattern and those airlines? Better suggestions welcome!

Based on the flights I have found thus far, we will plan to arrive in Kayseri on Saturday, July 3rd around 3pm. We will likely depart on a late evening flight (9-10pm) Monday, July 5th headed for Istanbul. The question that remains is what to do for those precious 55 hours (or so) in the Cappadocia region? (It’s not much time, but it’s all we’ve got). Particularly I’m wondering about the following...

A) I get the impression that Goreme is the best place for a pair like us to base from because it has a range of accommodation options and it is easy to access the main sites without a rental car (we will be travelling by foot, bus, shuttle, or maybe hired car if necessary). Would you agree then that Goreme is the best town for us to base from?

B) If yes, I would appreciate any recommendations for a place to stay for 2 nights in Goreme... somewhere from which it is easy to access most of the major sites. It would be great if the proprietors were the type that we could approach for their help with planning day trips, transportation, etc (ex. Other posts have talked about their hosts booking balloon rides for slightly less than shelf cost, driving them to the airport, finding them a driver for the day, etc). We would prefer something no more than 40EUR ($50 CAD) per person per night (or 70EUR/$100 CAD per private room per night). I can look up the prices, etc on my own, but what I’m really looking for here are your recommendations based on a great experience you’ve had at any particular place!

C) Lastly, what is the best way to get from the Kayseri airport to Goreme and vice versa? Alternatively, would it be easier to get to Neveshir airport from Goreme?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Some info :

-you can rent scooters for sightseeing in cappadocia. Otherwise you should join some tours because the distances are just too much for walking. It is a huge area.
- most B&B owners will be very helpful and will give you help and directions and if they can will find cheap transportation.
- Nevsehir airport is a bit closer, and also is close to ihlara valley if you stay in that region your first night.
otherwise, the difference in distance is not that important, Also, there are more flights to and from Kayseri airport.

- Staying at Goreme, you will be closer to some of the better known and frequently visited areas

- Flying into SAW airport will be cheaper but the transfer to the city will be more expensive. However, if you can get on the Havas bus, it is reasonably priced and because of the timeof night, you should not hit any congestion. A month ago, the bus took one hour fortyfive minutes to Taksim. The taxi from Taksim to sultanahmet will be about 12TL.
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your helpful advice otherchelebi. I like the idea of renting scooters. I didn't realize that it is such a distance from SAW to Sultanahmet so we will take that into consideration in our planning. Thanks again!

If any others have specific recommendations for accommodations in Goreme as per the specifications in the OP that would be appreciated - thanks.
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:51 AM

I stayed at the Ottoman House in centre of Goreme, can walk to everything. We got if from the Fodor's guide. Not a cave hotel, which might have been neat. Pleasant staff, helped us with arrangements for a night of turkish dancing. Their breakfast area is on roof, so have nice views of formations and cave houses.

I remember seeing a lot of soccters nearby, so that sounds like a good idea.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 07:46 AM

I don't think it meets your budget, but I can highly recommend Kelebek. They helped with the airport transfers (shuttle from Kayseri and driver to Nevesehir) and arranged a driver to take us to Ilhara, also making a few other stops, including underground city.
Find more suggestions at http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/g...els/index.html.
You can walk to the Open Air museum from Goreme, and you can access many amazing walking trails, some to neighboring towns.
For such a touristic place, Goreme is very friendly with good restaurants.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

yorkshire - The Kelebek Cave Hotel looks great! And there are some double-occupancy rooms in the 45-55 EUR range which meets our budget. Do you, by chance, remember which exact room number you stayed in?

Thanks Michel... will consider the Ottoman as well... turkish dancing sounds fun.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 09:41 AM

I do happen to have it--14. They have a fantastic terrace too, for breakfast and afternoon drinks.