Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Canterbury Day Trip Only vs. Overnight Stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2013, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again,

I am trying to rethink my original itinerary plan. At first I had us staying in three bases--London, Canterbury (to tour Canterbury, Dover, and possibly Deal, Walmer and/or Broadstairs), and then somewhere else in Kent/Sussex either Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells, or Tenterden.

Now I think maybe we should just stay in two bases--less moving around and do Canterbury as a day trip either by car from Tonbridge or by train from London. From either location it is about an hour drive or train ride away.

Then we can tour Dover from Tonbridge rather than from Canterbury even though it is a bit further to do that.

To tour the Cathedral, Canterbury Tales and the Canterbury museum--do you need a full day or just a half day? Can you combine that with Howlett's Wild Animal Park or is Port Lympne better which is further south to be done on a different day? The description of Port Lympne reminds me of the San Diego Wild Animal Park. Has anyone been to both to compare?

Does it make sense to just have two bases?
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 08:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've only been to Port Lympne and LOVED it. The gardens are also very pretty. But can't compare it to howlett's, which I understand is also quite good.

As for Canterbury - I'd probably do it as a day trip from London myself. Easy train connections.

Then your single base in Tenterden or wherever will do for everything else.
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks as always, Janisj for the valuable advice! I think the single base for the south is the better option and you confirmed it.

We have been to the San Diego Wild Animal Park and Port Lympne sounds like it is very similar based on the description of the caravan. We will see--may not have time for it.
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 05:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily compare Port Lympne to the SD wild animal park. Entirely different vibe. SD is more like open savanah. A more similar site in in the UK would be Woburn Abbey safari park - a drive though animal park. Main difference being you drive your own vehicle instead of caravans/trams.

Port Lympne does have trams but you will mostly be on foot. Plus there is the house/gardens. But I haven't been there in a few years so there may have been changes ???
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for pointing out there are differences between the two parks and that you can see more of Port Lympne on foot. At the San Diego Animal Park, while you can explore a bit on foot, to really see the animals you had to book one of the caravans. I think the choices were to feed the giraffes or feed the Rhinos. We chose giraffes and had the ostriches following the caravan in hopes of left overs.