Canterbury Day Trip

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canterbury Day Trip

Hello all - Would love your input for a day trip to Canterbury from London. Heading out early in the morning with my sister and my 2 year old son. Our agenda includes the Christmas Market and walking the city. Would love input on great places for lunch (child friendly), wonderful stores, boutiques, antiques, etc.
Many thanks!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:06 AM

Don't forget the cathedral! And a look at the old city walls.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM

To me, the shopping areas around the Cathederal are nothing to get excited about. The reason to go is to see the Cathedral--read up on Thomas Beckett before you go.

www.hereinfranklin.wordpress.com
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Canterbury Tourist Office has a nice web site: (And by train www.nationalrail.co.uk has all the schedules and various pricing - look for a day return ticket - in any case do not buy two one way full fare tickets - two stations in Canterbury - both about same distance from compact town center and cathedral)

http://www.canterbury.co.uk/http://w...terbury.co.uk/
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 01:09 PM

We did a city walk with a guide from the Tourist Information Center, but it did not include the interior of the cathedral. We did that on our own. The TIC guide was very good, but the walk lasted a couple of hours so that might be a little long for your son.

We had lunch at the Weavers' House and liked it so much we went back for afternoon tea.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM

I can recommend Tiny Tim's Tea Rooms for a light lunch, it's opposite the Marlow Arcade, head towards the Canterbury Tales, the turning by the side of Lloyd's Bank. Sorry I can't remember the name of the road. The shops are much the same as elsewhere. There is a German Christmas market in Whitefriars Square and Clock Tower Square which starts at the end of November, but it is very small. Depending on which London Station you come from depends which Canterbury station you come to both are a walk from the shops. There is another quite pleasant restaurant near the entrance to the Cathedral above the Tourist Information Centre, called Fern's has a good choice of menu and is not too pricey. Both places are waiter servce and the staff are incredibly pleasant, young students.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM

In addition to my reply yesterday The Christmas market is nothing to write home about, I saw it today, about ten or so stalls, three of which were selling wurst, one that was nothing to do with Christmas in anyway shape of form. In my opinion for what it's worth I would forget it. If you want to see the Cathedral and the Canterbury Tales exhibition then fine, I would lso recommend M&S Kitchen in the Whitefriars area, part of the M&S shop but I understand it is eun as a franchise. It's good for snacks and coffee but not full meals.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 09:20 AM

There is really not much there in Canterbury that is - except for the cathedral, well worth the journey IMO (and the cathedral area)

In summer town is full of French day trippers and French school groups running amok