CANT MISS beers during Oktoberfest

Aug 29th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

CANT MISS beers during Oktoberfest

I know there are probably hundreds of beers to sample (well chug) in Munich during Oktoberfest, but can anyone provide some CANT MISS beers. Ones that you absolutely MUST try. I am up to trying pretty much any kind, so the type of beer is not really an issue. I just want to make sure that I look for these particular ones, as well as others im sure ill run across.

Thanks,

GreekGazoo
Aug 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM

It's kind of a subjective question because it is a matter of preference - but I enjoyed the Paulaner tent and their beer. Not sure if it is a lager or pilsner though.
Aug 29th, 2007, 12:47 PM
ira

Hi GG,

Anything that ends in "brau".

Order a lot of small glasses.

Enjoy your visit.

Aug 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM

I enjoyed Augustiner best but Paulaner is also very good. Hell, so is Löwenbräu. I can not remember a bad beer in Munich. I guess that you will just have to try as many as you can and report back to us.

Regards, Gary
Aug 29th, 2007, 01:57 PM

I'm with everyone else--never had a bad beer at Oktoberfest! But as a wise hotelier advised me, "Be careful! That 3rd liter will really sneak up on you." Have fun. Paul
Aug 29th, 2007, 02:25 PM

When we were in Germany, our favorite beers were from the Anchechs and Aecht Scherlenka (spelled something like that at any rate) breweries. If you find those, give them a try. We liked the Augustiner as well.

As others have said though, it is all subjective. I didn't care for the Paulaner much - it wasn't bad, just not one I would seek out.
Aug 29th, 2007, 02:36 PM

List of Bavarin beers here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_d...eien_in_Bayern

Schneider Weisse is worth trying. The common Munich brands aren't that good, imho. Augustiner is the only acceptable one.
Aug 29th, 2007, 02:47 PM

I love the Augustiner Beer. My wife who does not like beer normaly. Liked this Beer very much as well.
Aug 29th, 2007, 10:33 PM

I like Erdinger very much, also Schneider Weisse.
Paulaner is not considered one of the best...

>Not sure if it is a lager or pilsner though.

Neither, most beers brewed in Bavaria re Weizen (wheat) beers
Aug 30th, 2007, 02:53 AM
JN

As I recall, only certain beers can be sold at Oktoberfest itself: Hofbrau, Hacker-Pshorr, Paulaner, Löwenbräu , Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu and Augustiner I believe. Andechs, Erdinger and Ayinger, while great Bavarian beers, are not sold on the grounds.

If you like Weissbiers, my favorite of those available is Hacker-Pschorr. For Helles, I'd pick augustiner. In the city, I'd choose any Andechser in a heartbeat.
Aug 30th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Erdinger is good too - I was trying to remember the name yesterday when I posted.

Of the list of ones availible at Oktoberfest, I would choose the Augustiner or the Hacker-Pshorr.

Aug 30th, 2007, 09:05 AM

>As I recall, only certain beers can be sold at Oktoberfest itself:

Yes, the Oktoberfest is a celebration of the city of Munich. Only the breweries of the city are involved.