Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can't get excited about Greek Isles cruise in August. Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am Greek-American and I speak Greek. My father lived in Athens for the last 15 years of his life. I've been to Athens and Corinth and Delphi and Volos, but never to the Greek Isles.

My husband and I are booked on a luxury cruise in the Greek Isles this August. We sail from Athens to Istanbul, stopping in Napflion, Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, and Kusadasi. Hubby is thrilled. I have no desire to go. I think it will be hot and crowded and very disappointing. Am I right?
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM

If you have decided it will be awful, it certainly will be. I feel for your poor husband.

Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Well, you shouldn't jump to conclusions about people. That is not me at all! I wouldn't have written if I were not open to suggestion. You are awfully judgmental.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM

If you go looking for hot, crowded and disappointing, that is what you will find. Consider thinking of it as an opportunity to spend time with your husband, enjoy his enthusiasm, or use the opportunity to do some reading about archeology and history of the people in these locations. The best way to survive extreme temperatures - stop thinking about the temperature. If none of that works, you can either let your husband go alone or suck it up and paste a smile on your face for the sake of your husband.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 07:24 PM

You are lucky that ther are a few outstanding sites you cannot help but enjoy .. to help you work up some enthusiam here is a site I just recntly discovered -- written y a young GReek schoolmaster, he has a candid, refreshing approach to the Islands... really easy to navigate the website, not the usual commercial hype... no ads.
http://www.greek-islands.us/

And here are my favorites of your list --
NAFPLIO -- Stunning Old Town... don't do a ship excursion, just explore the town... there is a kiosk by the waterside where you can borrow a FREE audio guide that will walk you around the many historic landmarks... this town also has wonderful shops (MUCH better than santorini), because its thefavorite weekend getaway for stylish athenians ... the central square is paved in MARBLE... I think the sunsets off Nafplio are far more beautiful than Santorini ... the waterside cafes have marquee canopies and cusshioned wicker loveseats... divine. here is a slide show by a fodorite o Nafplios' delights
http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/551991579dJbWvh

EPHESUS (Kusadasi) is stunning but WEAR a HAT... you take a bus from the port but you don't need a guide; it helps to read up beforehand, here are good links to print out
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/turkey/ephesus.htm
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/t...ite-layout.htm

RHODES -- Luckily most cruise ships allow a full day ... try to get away from the crowd and go down the lanes which are 500 years Old! We stayed in a B & B near St. Francis' gate -- you'd never know that cruise ships were in town! If you are there on a tuesday or a saturday, inquire whether the "Wall Walks" are still allowed ... 2:30, line forms at the Grand master's palace & you can go atop the huge waills (30 feet across on top! Grass & flowers grow up there!). Here's a website to make you feel more eager to see Rhodes Old Town... and there's a nice beach North of Old town, in the new Town area.
http://www.faliraki-info.com/rhodes/old-town.htm
http://www.greek-islands.us/rhodes/

in all 3 of these places, if you speak Greek, you will be SO welcomed! I have mastered just a few phrases (not of complaint but of praise) -- delicious food, beautiful baby, I love the view, your town is lovely ... and people (who are fluent in English) are pleased that I take the trouble to struggle with a little Greek. In Nafplio, if you walk into the Park on the OTher side of Singrou Street (the park that has the old RR station now a cafe), that park is TOTALLY filled with locals, not a tourist in sight.

PS: If you want to swim , Nafplio has it's own cute pebbly beach on the other side of the peninsula ... in the afternoon, the water suddenly gets wavy, it's like a water massage!
--------------------------------------
As for MYKONOS and SANTORINI .... well, I can't work up a lot of Enthusiasm. Your stops at each will be short... and the streets will be thronged .... and the Jewelry shop owner will be out to get you to buy stuff you don't want.

MYKonos -- I suggest you walk away from the waterfront, until you get a bit "lost" in the back streets. THen find a cafe and sit and relax. FInd a place where thy only speak greek.

As for Santorini -- unless you et there early in the day, and there aere no other cruise ships docked at the Old Harbor -- I almost suggest, spend the day at the ship. The view is lovely from below. The cable-car has Loooong lines to get on and off ... and most ships only stay 4 hours.

If you DO go up to the top ... just go to the wonderful prehistoric Thira musuem -- truly wonderful 3-dimensional exhibits of the famous volcanic eruptions etc, plus wonderful relics from Akrotiri (which is still closed). Right outside the museum at the Fabrica Shopping center there is a very good Ouzerie, not touristy, for a light meal. If you can make your way along the parapet path north of the cable car entrance there is the Stunning Nokimos Conference Center (donated by a wealthy Greek born here) -- its terrace has Fira Town's best vista ... and it has a hallway of amazing huge photographs of the actual discovery & excavation of Akrotiri.

3 destinations out of 5 ain't bad ... and I know nothing about Istanbul. You can go look at the wonderful GREEK structures built there.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 07:51 PM

Rhodes was AMAZING! Lindos was beautiful, and Old Town was very neat. We rented a car and drove everywhere!
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM

Hi,
You will be mesmerized the minute you are there and love every minute of it no matter how hot or crowded it will be. Be sure to a have a glass of wine watching the sun go down in Santorini while you are wrapped in your husband's arms. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. We live in Dallas, so we are very familiar with HOT. WE usually go someplace cooler in August.

But I've been reading the guide books, and they make it sound wonderful! Plus, I've been dreaming about going to the Greek islands since I was young --which I am not any more. You know how it is, you just build up such expectations! I love cruising and I know that it will be great. And I have to laugh to hear you suggest that I stay on the ship in Santorini and Mykonos, because that is exactly what I was thinking!

And did I mention that I love my husband? We've been married for 40 years .. he's my best friend. We always have a wonderful time together. Greek Islands, here I come!
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM

I know how you feel. My husband and I have to go to Italy often to visit his family. It is not easy and it is not a vacation. People may think I am rude or that I dont know how lucky I am to be able to go to Italy....but its not like I get to go and see Italy. We have to travel many hours on a crowded plane, in crowded airports and then get to Italy totally jet lagged...drive around and see family members, stay with inlaws, deal with family members pushing you to do things and see people! It is no vacation! So, we are now trying to get his family to come here for once, or, when we go we tell the family to come visit us at his parents house. We now put a time limit on how long we will stay with his parents and plan 3-4 days for ourselves. We take a few days and go see things and relax. Maybe your cruise will be crowded and Im sure in August it will be hot! Life is short just enjoy your time together.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 01:08 PM

athena

I can add very little to what has been already said but prepare yourself for a few things:

1) light that may may not have experienced before which shows off and transforms the dazzling blues, reds and many other colours found on the islands. From painted doors and windows to the hanging bougainvillea.

2) an ocean with a depth of blue that, as some have said before, goes down for ever.

3) small, intimate and quiet tavernas and bars that are quite magical just to sit and relax in and many only a few steps away from the hustle and bustle of island life.

I have no doubt you will see and discover one thing, perhaps two that will stay with you forever. It may be a place, an ancient site or a even person.

Please, have a wonderful time and make sure you come back and tell us all about it.

bill
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Beautifully said, Bill!
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 01:53 PM

Know that you have some sympathy for your point of view here. I've been to the Greek Isles twice, both times on cruises. They are beautiful but they are also crowded--just by the many passengers your own ship will dump out. And seeing them on the typical cruise schedule of 5 to 7 hours per town is not optimal either. My fondest dream is to return sometime in the off/shoulder season when things aren't too crowded and to spend at least a couple of days and up to 3 or 4 in several of them. Maybe you'll enjoy it all more if you, too, look at the stops as a sample and spend your time making notes of the beautiful things you might return to under better conditions. Otherwise the advice you're getting here about how to enjoy them is good. Try to keep it in mind as you make the best of a less than perfect situation.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Ouch! Julie, I thought my response was rather forward and brash.

Springing off Julie's description, I will add that sometimes it is great fun just watching other people and seeing how they travel and their reactions to new and different experiences. The people just add more opportunities to expereince things through the eyes of others. Bon Voyage!
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Each evening after dinner I come on here and sometimes something is written that takes me right back to happy times in some of the places I've visited over the years. Bill, once again you've hit the spot. I wish I could write like that and I agree with every word.

athena39 go and enjoy. Look for those special places. I am sure you will settle in real quick and find that it becomes an adventure.

joe