Cannot decide.....do we skip Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the facts as I have it:<BR><BR>1) Our trip will be 10 nights, 11 days<BR>2) We are flying in and out of Rome<BR>3) We want to stay in Rome for 4 nights<BR><BR>My fiance and I really want to see Venice, but are concerned about travel time from Rome, b/c I think we would go from Rome, to Venice, and then down to the Amalfi Coast area. Is Venice worth spending 1/2 day + travelling? And then however much time from Venice to Amalfi? Seems to me that we would definitely be taking at least 1 day out total in travel time. My fiance doesn't think it makes much sense to go so far north and then have to turn around again and go south.<BR><BR>What do you think? Is there enough to do down in the Amalfi Coast region that we could skip Venice completely, OR should we try and do it all?<BR><BR>Thanks so much for your help!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:23 PM

Yes definitely - save Venice for another trip. If you could have flown into Venice then it might have made sense to include all three centres but not starting at Rome. Venice to Amalfi would be a whole days travelling. I'd take the train to Sorrento maybe stopping off at Pompeii then on to Positano perhaps for the last few days.<BR>Is this your honeymoon? If so, RELAX!!!<BR>Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:38 PM

I agree - you will not do Venice justice for such a short amount of time and the travel time does not justify it.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:11 PM

I think you need to choose one or the other but Venice rates higher for me than the Amalfi Coast. Cant you fly into Rome and out of venice to save that trouble of getting back to Rome?
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:21 PM

I suppose that it is traditional to spend time on the coast on a honeymoon.Classic is Hawaii,but for me going to Italy and not going to Venice would be like visiting Anaheim and not going to Disneyland.The most romantic place in the world!.I would fly into venice and leave from rome,have you bought your tickets yet?It is not more expensive to fly into one place and out of another.RR
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 04:43 PM

The coast is a coast whether it is FL , CA ,Hawaii, italy...but venice is a jewel...for a honeymoon, or just a trip..if I had a chance for Venice..I would grab it!<BR><BR>I'd skip Amalfi...and head to Venice, my choice ..I'd never leave Venice..but then I feel the same way about Rome.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:20 PM

It would be a horrible shame for you not to see one of the most romantic places in the world-please don't miss Venice!<BR>If possible why don't you fly into Rome and out of Venice? My husband and I did this last September and we both agreed that Venice was a wonderful way to end our trip. It is so unique and captivating. <BR>If you can do this- do Rome first for 4 nights, take the train to Amalfi, spend 3-4 nights there then take the train from Naples to Venice and spend 2-3 nights. <BR>If you can't fly into one and out of the other- I still say go to Venice!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:24 PM

I love all of Italy. But to me Venice is magical! There is nothing else in the world even remotely like it. Sure there are a bunch of places that people try to compare -- &quot;the Venice of France&quot; or &quot;the Venice of Scandanavia&quot; but all those are jokes. There is only one Venice. I wouldn't miss it, but agree if you can fly in or out reducing the Rome/Venice trip to once, it would be better.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:32 PM

I agree with the fly in one and out of the other. Also, flying to or from Venice to Naples will cut down on your travel time to the Amalfi Coast, and air fares are less expensive than the train.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:43 PM

Why not go back to Venice for your first anniversary - just Venice. Rome is a busy wonderful hectic city - balance it out with something relaxing, such as the Amalfi Coast.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:46 PM

Have you booked your airline tickets already? If not, you could look into flying into Venice and out of Rome. That way you could not only see Venice but begin your vacation there, and would not have to travel round-trip between Venice and Rome. <BR><BR>If you *really* want to see Venice and are not sure how long it will be before you could return to Italy, then by all means try to see it. It's an amazing city. <BR><BR>But, if you plan to return to Italy, you could save it for when you could spend more time there.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:03 PM

Hi Melann78,<BR><BR>If your tickets are set, then relax and enjoy Rome and the Amalfi region. It will be too hectic to go up to Venice for one day or nite and then loop back to Rome. Plus, there is plenty to see in the Amalfi area. I agree that you should stop off to see both Pompeii and Herculeanum on the way to Amalfi. I posted a ton of Amalfi trip tips on a thread that has &quot;kiki&quot; - restaurants, shopping, sites, etc.<BR><BR>Just to help you put your mind at ease, we did the circle - arrived in Milan, to Venice, to Florence, to Amalfi, back to Milan. The only part that was tiring was the return back to Milan, which took a 1/2 day at least, on the train. So skip Venice if you can't change your tickets, and go back on another trip when you can stay for 4 or 5 days in Venice and really take it in. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:29 PM

OK, Reality.............<BR>Amalfi is a couple hours from Rome by car. It is like seeing New York and then driving to the beaches off the east coast be it Maine, Mass., Long Island, Etc.If you go, stay in Positano or Capri, day trip Pompei and use boats for transportation from Naples to Capri and Positano. In the summer Amalfi is a zoo.<BR>Venice is like California, or Florida.<BR>An hour&amp;1/2 in a plane or 4-5 on a train from Rome (if there is no strike...don't laugh) Venice can be seen quite concisely in 2 days if you are willing to walk a lot....no cars allowed. Been there 4 times in 30 years and still not enough time for the Veneto. Quieter than Rome...just as expensive if not more so. Venice has an international airport that connects with USA on Alitalia, etc.Now, we are talking seeing something like New York City, the east coast villages, and a major otherside of the country historic<BR>city in your time frame. ALL OF THE PLACES MENTIONED CAN REQUIRE YEARS EACH TO SEE WELL!!! Rome is nuts and can be seen in a nutshell in 3 days max on a good city tour...or years. Been there many times, going back this year. Ditto Venice and Amalfi,altho not going again this year, concentrating on Siena and Bologna..only because this is a trip to hit new spots. We love Italy and to see it well,you have to move there! No thanks, but if you plan flites in to Rome from the US and out of Venice back to the US, and research your interests,<BR>you could do it all...3-4 days each place. The hard part....BUDGET!<BR>BON VOYAGE!!!!!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 03:19 AM

My husband and I honeymooned in Italy spring 2002.<BR><BR>14 days, flying in and out of Rome. We took the train from Rome to Venice and we both rated the portion of our trip we spent in Venice as the best part! It is beautiful and romantic, and perfect for honeyooners!<BR><BR>I have the Amalfi coast on my radar screen for a return trip one day but strongly encourage you to make the trip to Venice, after several days in Rome it will be an amazing and welcome change of environment!<BR>
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 05:17 AM

Hi<BR>You don't say when you are going.<BR>If it is in July or August, I'd avoid Venice like the plague, though it is my favorite place on earth (so far). In the summer<BR>Venice gets inundated not just by summer travelers, but by thousands of day-trippers who come in by bus or from cruise ships just for the day. It's not that other places in Italy aren't busy in the summer, but Venice is so small!<BR><BR>
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 05:20 AM

I'm very confused by Deloris's &quot;reality&quot; statement --&quot;Venice is like California or Florida&quot;.<BR>Huh? How? Surely there is no possible way to compare Venice to either -- or do you just mean that there happen do be some drainage canals in Florida?<BR>Or was that supposed to be a comparison of distance from Rome, as compared to the distance of California and Florida to New York? Again, a big HUH? Where's the train you hop on in New York to get to Florida in 4 or 5 hours. And what is the plane that will take you from New York to California in 1 1/2 hours? Or did you mean that like Venice, California or Florida can easily be explored on foot in 2 days? Again, no that couldn't possibly be it. <BR><BR>Can you explain the possible comparison, Deloris?
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 05:52 AM

Elaine has raised the key question: When are you going? And, as she said, if it's in the summer, then I'd say, &quot;Go to the Amalfi coast and skip Venice this time.&quot; If it's any other time of the year, then I'd reverse the recommendation!<BR>Venice is magical....especially for a honeymoon trip, I would imagine.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:54 AM

Agree with Elaine's feedback -- you do NOT want to be in Venice during Jul-Aug. You won't be experiencing magic &amp; romance if you are part of the masses packed into the city during the high &amp; the hot season.<BR><BR>And IMO, your fiance is correct in wanting to focus on Rome &amp; Amalfi and not be running from one end of the country to the other. I think there's plenty or romance to be had in those destinations. Save Venice for your next trip to Italy; then you can divide your visit between Venice &amp; Florence.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Venice is magical--and it would be a pity to miss on your honeymoon. I was curious what my husband thought--we went to the Amalfi coast last summer which he still raves about. We went to Venice on our honeymoon almost nine years ago and he agrees --don't miss Venice. I would try to spend two nights in Venice. In anycase have a great trip
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 02:24 PM

Disneyland is in Anaheim.Not that I desire to go there, so maybe it was a wierd analogy.I mean that I would have a hard time planning a trip to Italy without including Venice.RR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -