Reload this Page >

Cannes, St Tropez or Nice??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 04:49 PM
fran

<BR>Will only have one day (on a cruise) which should I spend my day at? Would rather see/do than lay on a beach. Therefore, I believe it is between Cannes and Nice. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 04:52 PM
Wanda

Fran, <BR> <BR>Didn't make it to St. Tropez but between Cannes and Nice I would choose Nice.

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 05:44 PM
Mary

DITTO, Nice

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 05:54 PM
Dayle

I spent 5 days in Cannes last Oct and would not go back. Too big, too much traffic. No charm, no scenery, and outrageously overpriced. Once you've walked down the main shopping street and the boardwalk, you've done it all. Didn't make it to Nice, but I understand there are some good museums. St. Tropez I would visit again! Very pretty, much smaller, but I could see the small harbor would be a tourist zoo during the summer. If you go to Nice, you could also get up to St Paul du Vence - probably the best in the area.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 12:03 AM
Vincent

For "serious" sightseeing, Nice is probably the best city : a sizeable old town, great museums in Cimiez, on the outskirts. But this does require quite an amount of time, and means you'll have to fight with public transportation, find your way around, etc. This is why I would second Dayle's advice and opt for Saint-Tropez. OK, it's very touristy in the height of the season, but manageable, thanks to the no-car policy (more or less) in the heart of the village. The village is nevertheless charming, and you can easily escape the crowds, in the narrow streets, walking on the Citadel with great views on the Gulf of Saint-Tropez, splurging on a restaurant, going to the relatively unknown, but great local museum, l'Annonciade.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 03:05 AM
Wanda

Yes, St. Paul de Vence---wonderful!!! Definately don't miss that if you go to Nice.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 04:14 AM
Myriam

Saint-Trop! You must have tasted the atmosphere when in the South of France!

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 05:11 AM
illeana

Hello Fran, I would ask a question first: are you interested in watching the "young and beautiful", if the beach scene attracts you, it has to be St-Tropez which is also charming but a zoo in the summer. On a stop on a cruise last year, we opted to have a car wait for us and take us directly to St-Paul-de-Vence. It was gorgeous, we even bought some great paintings, and had a great lunch on a wonderful terrace. Only dark point it was very hot (but all of Europe was last summer).

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 08:04 AM
elvira

Cannes: I agree with Dayle...ptooey <BR>Nice: even if you can't get to St-Paul-de-Vence, Nice has great museums, the Vieux Ville with cobblestone streets and shops with incredible produce (pure white mushrooms the size of a saucer). Excellent restaurants, reasonably priced. Fun souvenir shops. Lousy beach. Nice (pun intended) people. The best pizza in the Universe. <BR>St Tropez: Pretty, crowded, expensive, great views out to sea if you sit along the shorefront cafes. We were there when a wooden-hull sailboat regatta pulled in...all those brightly coloured sails billowing against an azur (pun intended) sky. A store with a New York Yankees jacket and hat. The mistral was blowing, weirdest thing to be nearly knocked off your feet by WARM air.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 11:36 AM
Up

!