Search

Cannes or Nice?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Herb

Cannes or Nice?

Considering travelling to the Cote d'Azure in March 2003 and was wondering whether it would be better to base myself in either Cannes or Nice. I will be on the Riviera for 7 nights, and I want a convenient location from which to explore the area.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Fluffy

Herb;<BR>you could easily base your holiday from either town. I do not know if you will have a car ; but train travel from either town is quiet easy and fast; it's probably 15 minutes by train from Cannes to Nice.<BR>I would probqbly choose Cannes it's smaller and more quaint. You might also consider Cap Farrett or Antibes even more charming and still very convientViva la France<BR>Fluffy

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Herb

Thank you for reply Fluffy. Just to let everyone know I will not have a car while on the Riviera.<BR><BR>Herb

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Paula

I've stayed in both and would pick Nice because I like cities and like to be close to lots of museums--which Nice has (Chagall, Matisse, Contemporary, to name but a few). So it depends what you like.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Linda

On both trips to the Riviera we based ourselves in Cannes.. Last time we stayed at the Hotel Splendid, an old-world hotel right near La Croisette and the Film Festival palace. It was wonderful. The hotel had a parking deal with the underground garage at the Pantiero...a 5 min. walk away. Our room was large and very clean, with a large bathroom. We also had a room safe and a good sized kitchenette. On our arrival there was a fruit basket and another day a bouquet of flowers. Staff were friendly and helpful. Cannes is not real small, yet small enough that you can walk all around it and keep the car for daytripping. We drove one day to Grasse, Gourdon (a wonderful mtn village), Vence, St.Paul de vence and Biot. Other days we went up the coastal road to St.Tropez and the other direction to Antibes, Villefranche, Eze, Monaco,etc. Lots of good restaurants at all price ranges, good shopping from real cheap to top designers.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:41 PM
JJJ

Just got back from the Riv, and we stayed in Nice for the second year. I prefer it to Cannes, I get a much more uppity feeling in Cannes than I do in Nice. Beware the Euro has made the prices rise; a Nicqios Salad that cost about $7 last year was up to $10, it was very hard to find any single menu item under $10 even at the pizza places. <BR><BR>The prices at the beach was what amazed me the most; last year we paid about $15 for an umbrella/chair etc at the<BR>private beach, this year $27 for the afternoon!!! Wow what a shocker!<BR><BR>Cannes is about an hour train ride away from Nice, so you can easily see whichever city you don't stay in. I really like the Old City in Nice better than in Cannes, but if you want a sand beach stay in Cannes, the beaches in Nice are smooth rocks.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:55 PM
JJJ

One more thing there is a train ride from Nice that takes you to a old fortress town called Entreveux. The train for this is just North of the main train station. You can take the train just to Entreveux (about 4hrs rnd trip) or you can take it all the way to the end of the line (6hrs rnd trp). We went all the way to the end and stopped at Entreveux on the way back, nice ride and a great way to see the countryside.<BR><BR>Entreveux is great town to stop at, and see the walled city, and climb up to the citadel, where they guards and soldiers defended the city. There are 7 drawbridges through out the city, really a cool place to stop for an afternoon.