Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

royal riviera in nice, anyone know anything?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 07:34 PM
chris

i am staying at the royal riviera just outside nice, has anyone ever stayed there before? not normally the kinda place i would stay (a little pricey and foofoo) but going on business and just wondering what it might be like. new to this web site, totally addicted, i can't believe all the information....i will never search another site again!!! thanks

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 11:18 AM

Dear Chris,<BR>Never stayed there but have walked by it. It is on Saint Jean, Cap Ferrat, east of Nice. A pretty location, quiet, near the sea. It is not that easy to get into Nice from here on public transportation. You are near Beaulieu sur Mer which has some nice little resturants and shops.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Sharon

You didn't mention when you are going. I stayed in a private residence in Cap Ferrat for 2 summers, a number of years age. The area is one of the most magnificent spots I've been. Stop for lunch at the Grand Hotel of Cap Ferrat, and swim there for the day if you want to splurge. A car is a must, and you can get to Nice or Monaco via the Grands, Moyen, or Bas Corniche (high, middle, or low road along the mountain, a la "To Catch a Thief." Any resaurant is great, evean the little ones by the sea. Villefrance is nearby, with harbor reastaurants and a nice small chapel with murals by Matisse.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:28 AM
Carolyn

Chris - Have you returned from your trip yet? I'm booked in The Royal Riviera in August. How was it? Food? Rooms? Beach? Pool? People? Any good restaurants in the town? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 10:39 AM
chris

message to Carolyn, it is apparent that i don't always check out the boards as often as i should. we are not going on our trip until end of september, so you will have to tell me about it. from what i understand, it is just wonderful. we will be taking a day trip to cannes (via country side there and coastal road back). also, taking a day to go over to monaco, and surronding area. please check back with me when you return.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Linda

Hi Chris - Carolyn's sister here, who was lucky enough to be taken along on what was a fantastic trip! The Royal riviera was indeed a great property. We stayed in the new building - the rooms were spacious and very comfortable (with great bathrooms, as we experienced everywhere else we stayed). We were on the bottom floor - which was a plus because we had a little terrace with table and two lounge chairs, but a minus when it rained and the entire bottom floor of the new building became a river. Other things I would suggest would have to do with food, food, food: despite the lofty prices, i would highly recommend that you have either lunch or dinner at the Reserve. Seriously, a club sandwich for lunch is 57 Euros...and i can't believe i will say this, but, anything on the menu is worth it. The setting is beautiful, the people watching is fun, the service is extraordinary...and the food exemplary. We had dinner there as well - even pricier, but a three hour experience worth it in every regard. Also in town - Les Agaves, which someone suggested on these boards, near the train station in town, with the kindest owner. Down in the port, near the african Queen, we went to the Cafe del Mar twice - everything was great, especially the tiramisu.<BR>As far as Monaco, we had an unbelievable meal at Bar et Boeuf. It's a chic Alain Ducasse restaurant above the famous nightclub, Jimm'z. My sister has not stopped talking about it - says it was hands-down the best meal she has ever had. On a casual evening, we tried Terrazina, a friendly little Italian restaurant where the food just kept coming and coming...delicious. As far as exploring, the Royal Riviera is actually closer to Beaulieu...and the pedestrain walk along the sea begins right outside of the Royal Riviera's entrance - we spent a full day walking to Cap Ferrat and back. We had an absolutely perfect trip - we found everyone we encountered to be extremely helpful and kind...enjoy!