Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cannes Film Festival - Will I get to see a movie?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is my first trip to france...coming all the way from seattle into paris for about 24 hrs and then heading to stay with a friend in cannes. do reg people get to see the movies too or will i only be able to go to the beach and thats all? dont know if i should spend more time in paris in that case. flying out of nice. any advice is appreciated.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:04 PM

IMVHO, probably spend more time in Paris, you will love it. However, I am fairly certain that there is more to do in Cannes then to go to the beach.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:13 PM

Hi Jeanbean. A fellow Seattleite here. Don't know the answer to your question about being able to see a movie at the festival, but you might enjoy renting the movie "Cannes Man", with Seymour Cassell. It's a funny send-up of the pretensions and deal-making at Cannes.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:30 PM

From what I understand, the movie screenings are only for people in the business. It's also going to be incredibly hard to get around town at that time. The crowds are supposedly horrible. I'd spend more time in Paris.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:33 PM

<BR>yes, I am pretty sure that the people who actually see the films do so by invitation. They don't actually sell tickets to the screenings.<BR>
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:46 PM

I will just back up the posts above. You need accreditation by the festival, and the only three groups that can get it are:<BR>1. Press<BR>2. Anybody with movie related jobs<BR>3. Producers, Exporters, Distributors and buyers.<BR>Still, it's fun to be there for dew days to waych the circus. Make sure you have a place to stay.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Basically, yes, unless you have professional connection with the film industry, you can't get accredition you need to enter the festival sites. But last year the organisers, perhaps in answer to criticism that the festival was too elitist, decided to set up a giant screen on the town beach for some free screenings - none of the premiere stuff mind you, but some old favourites like 'Some like it hot'. It went down well and was going to repeat it this year. Cannes will be very crowded and booked out for miles. Star and celebrity spotting is popular, but most employ heavy-handed minders who keep the riff-raffs at bay.<BR>Link to official Festival site:<BR>http://www.festival-cannes.com/index.php?langue=6002<BR>Festival runs this year from 14 to 25 May.