cane e gatto lovers-help please

May 28th, 2001, 10:47 AM
gourmutt

cane e gatto lovers-help please

Can you tell me if the proprietors of the restaurant speak/read English? I want to call or fax to make a reservation but don't know if they will understand me. Thanks.

May 28th, 2001, 12:12 PM
kam

Pretty sure someone speaks English, but a word of warning. I would fax my request and be very careful to spell out the month (since Italy reverses the month/day sequence from ours) and also be aware that they will use the 24 hours time abbreviation. Think I would ask for a confirmation via fax as well.

May 28th, 2001, 12:37 PM
xxx

Are dogs and cats part of the menu?

May 28th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Mary

We ate at the Cane e Gatto last June and made the reservation that afternoon while we were walking around Siena. My friend went over the Xmas holidays and had a difficult time making the reservation from here and eventually had the hotel make it for her.
It is a wonderful experience. I believe that Paulo (the owner) speaks fairly good English.

Enjoy!
Mary

May 28th, 2001, 07:44 PM
Carin

Yes, the owner and his wife speak English. In fact, they have a restaurant in Florida and one in Japan. The place seats about 20-25 people, but there were only 6 of us there on a weeknight ( the day after Easter Monday - a holiday). Your hotel can make your reservation for you. Enjoy!!!

May 29th, 2001, 06:56 AM
gourmutt

I've been trying to fax the Cane e Gatto since yesterday afternoon but keeps coming back no response..number I'm using is
011 39 0577 733916
anyone tell me if this is correct? Thanks.

May 29th, 2001, 08:33 PM
yum-yum-yum

The Cane e Gatto is on Via Pagliaresi 6, Tel.No. 011 39 0577 287545.

May 30th, 2001, 05:44 AM
gourmutt

my contact in italy has been trying to phone the restaurant but keeps getting a message saying to fax your request. But my fax keeps coming back "no response"..looking to see if this is correct fax #.

May 30th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Maria

Hi,

Just had dinner this past Saturday. I simply called the day before from Rome, and made reservations. The owner is extremely friendly, and easy to talk to.
Make every effort to eat there. It was the best meal we had during our trip to Italy. But be prepared for a 6 course meal, which with us started at 8:30pm and did not end until 12:30am.

May 30th, 2001, 05:58 PM
adam

Is this is Siena or where? Some of us planning trips to Italy might like to eat there also. There seem to be so many posts that fail to mention (or even hint) of a location. People start answering because they know but still don't mention the city at all. Please try to at least mention a city/town, etc. to clue us in. Thank you.

May 31st, 2001, 10:34 AM
Maria

The restaurant is in Siena. It is located at Via Pagliarese 6. It's a 6 to 7 minute walk from Piazza Il Campo.
By the way, it is closed on Thursdays.

May 31st, 2001, 12:49 PM
gina

Just a suggestion...if you stay at the Antica Torre Hotel in Siena, you are right around the corner from the Cane e Gatto. I was there last August and the hotel owner made the reservation for me. You want to be there when it opens and yes, it will be at least 3 hours and about $75 per person. (We took our daughter to McDonald's before). Definitely go there, it was fabulous food and one of the highlights of our trip.

May 31st, 2001, 12:56 PM
gourmutt

Thanks everyone for recommendations.This is so frustrating!! I can't call cause the machine answers all the calls and says to fax for reservations. I've been trying to fax for almost 3 days and fax keeps coming back "no response"...we're a larger group and staying in a private villa an hour away. Perhaps we just aren't meant to get to this place!!

May 31st, 2001, 02:05 PM
Kavey

If you found your hotel receptionist/ owner friendly when you booked I would suggest phoning or faxing them to explain the situation and asking if they would consider making the reservation for you.

Kavey

Jun 5th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Julie

By all means, KEEP TRYING!! It will be worth it.

Oct 21st, 2001, 10:51 AM
robin-k

Up for Barbara . . .