Canal Barge Cruises

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canal Barge Cruises

Has anyone taken a canal/river barge cruise in France with Abercrombie & Kent? If so, would you recommend it? Are there other companies that are you like better for canal cruising?
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Several years ago I took an Abercrombie & Kent barge trip on the Thames & wouldn't use them again. I booked & paid for a hotel after the 6 day trip for 1 night. The hotel did not have the reservation. OK, these things happen but the rack rate for the hotel was much cheaper than what A&K charged & the hotel was awful.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Try this. I happen to know she's very picky in her visits to barges & that she's trustworthy:

http://www.bargelady.com/
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 11:23 AM

In June 2001, a friend and I took a canal barge trip through Eastern Burgundy. It was operated by Continental Waterways, through Grand European Tours. I have posted several times about it on this BB and hesitate to do so again. Maybe if you do a search on Barge Cruises, you will find my replies and those of others that have been on the Board. The barge itself, had recently been bought from A & K and was really quite comfortable. We enjoyed the trip, the food was Great, and I would use Continental Waterways cruises again. Just my opinion. Ciao. mhm
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 09:11 AM

For a canal barge cruise - I would definetely recommend The Bargelady - www.bargelady.com - my husband and I went on the Shannon Princess barge cruise in Ireland this past May - and it was the best trip we have ever been on! She is definetely an expert and will only represent barges she has cruised on and meets her standards. She also booked us at a good hotel where we were upgraded at no charge - and in the perfect location before and after the trip. Some others that we met on the cruise with had booked with another company and were not very pleased with their service and the hotel that had been booked. - We also met other clients of the Barge Lady who had cruised with her in France as well and had nothing but praise for the service and attention to detail. We plan to barge again and will definetely be returning to The Barge Lady!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 09:43 AM
tod

Bowwowmom - I have just finished reading Terry Darlington's book " Narrow Dog To Carcassone". I loved it.
Having narrowboated on our family river in England I could relate very well to his 'haps & mishaps' on his journey through France!
It's an eye opener and VERY entertaining!
We rented a very small boat (just the two of us) but not from Aber & Kent.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:16 AM

I also did a barge trip (in Burgundy) with Continental Waterways and recommend them very highly. It was a small barge and the trip was really enjoyable. One of the highlights was balooning over the countryside.