Canadian Cell Phone & Text Messaging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if my cell phone will work in Europe. Not really interested in using it for calls, since I know the roaming charges would kill me. I would like to take it with me for sending text messages, if need be, to my wife. Anyone ever use their Canadian (or North American) cell phone in Italy to send text messages back home?

Rick
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Rick...

The answer is.....it depends...

1. Is your carrier GSM?

2. Does your carrier allow international roaming either for free or for a fee?

3. Does your gsm phone have at least one of the European frequencies (900 or 1800)

4. Does your carrier charge for receiving and/or sending text messages or do you have to sign up for the service?

You will have to check with your carrier as to whether these are met...if so yuo should be able to send text message at very low rates.

Of course you can sign up for a prepaid sim wherever you are and be able to send cheap text messages through that carrier and you will be able to receive text messages for free.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

never heard of getting a prepaid sim ... are these readily available in Italy? Or do I buy it here?
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM

click on my name and go through all the wonderful correct nformation I have provided on various threads on mobile phones in Europe...or go to www.prepaidgsm.net and go to the forums section and you can read all about them...the bottom line is you get it there.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 03:41 PM

ttt. Best bet is to call your provider! I called mine and found out that my phone will work in all of the countries we're visiting this summer and they gave me a special code for my kids phones so that they will work in France. In addition, she set up my account so that they won't shut it down if they start seeing European calls (much like your credit card company). The call only took a few minutes and provided me with peace of mind and no extra cost!