Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you take luggage on Venice Vaporettos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have carry-on size suitcases. Can you take luggage on Venice Vaporettos? Thanks.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Of course! You will not be alone with your luggage; there will be plenty of others also getting to their hotels by vaporetto.

Good for you for traveling light!
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:13 AM

Yes you can.

Since the vaporettos can be crowded, you are wise to travel with just a carry on.

We saw some people struggling on the vaporetto with more luggage than they could handle.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:49 AM

You are actually officially only allowed one piece of luggage on the vaporettos and are supposed to pay extra for excess. You should be good with just one carry-on size.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 11:33 AM

Nidwaldner_Chris:

I always get confused at policies like this. When I'm in Venice in Sept. I'll have a carry-on sized bag AND a large purse/day bag. Does that count as a "piece of luggage?" I mean, do I have one piece or two?

Thanks!
Jennie
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Intrepid

What we really need to know about this "allowance" issue is how often the "rule" is actually enforced. My experience has been similar in that the vessels seem to be crowded and there isn't always a lot of room...lots of jockeying for position by folks, like me, with luggage. And, even though it is probably unlikely your luggage will be stolen (after all, where can the thief go with it?)I would advise keeping close track of any money, etc., but if you use a moneybelt it shouldn't be a problem.

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 11:38 AM

I travel with a 22" rollaboard, which I check and a soft tote bag that I carry on. I have not been charged for "excess luggage", but then, I did not see those grappling with four huge suitcases being charged either.

I think it is up to the vaporetto crew, and most likely depends on their mood that day, and/or just how many people are overburdened.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 11:40 AM

To clarify my post above - I'm talking about checking vs. carry-on for the *plane*. You are obviously "carry on" ALL your luggage on the vaporetto.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 07:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No one stopped me with an oversize purse + medium size duffle with shoulder strap. BUT it is a bit tricky because the boarding platform rocks (water ya know!), the boat rocks, it can be EXtremely crowded, etc.

So yes you can do it but it but was a tiny bit of a challenge.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:27 AM

It's no big deal. If you happen to get a crowded vaporetto, it takes a couple minutes of jostling about to get set, but everyone seems to survive. It's not an ordeal unless you're a very exciteable person.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:37 AM
ira

Hi,

My wife and I have taken the vaporetto with one large and two small bags.

The crew is pretty good at arranging people.

Be prepared to be herded like cattle when leaving the train station.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 03:02 AM

The vaporetti are busiest in the middle of the day (or all day if it's raining). I find it easiest to put my bag in the left luggage at the station, then check into the hotel; I collect the bag in the early evening when the boats are quieter, it's cooler and I will have worked out the easiest route to the hotel.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 03:17 AM
ira

Good thinking, Geoff
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 09:09 AM

My wife's big concern was lifting bags in and out, it was a pleasant surprise to find we could just wheel on board.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 09:28 AM

Of course, that is the mode of transport in Venezia! Just as a courtesy, stand towards the back or sides of the boat, rather than in the middle of the standing area.

Last year, there was such a rude American couple on their honeymoon on my vaporetto -- they were jostling, pushing and shoving their 2 large suitcases around on everyone's feet, bumping knees, etc. When they rammed a woman and her baby in a stroller, the woman was justifiably upset and the 2 obnoxious Americans then proceeded to curse HER out! I was appalled at the complete lack of decency and respect for the others around them -- not to mention being in another country. I was too embarrassed to chide them for their insensitivity for fear that they would curse me out loudly too. Truly a disgrace!