Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

can you spend a whole week in Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 08:16 AM
susan

Wondering if this could be a wiser decision than going to Madrid. Have limited time and if there are any good day trips we can take from Barcelona maybe that would be worth it rather than running around exhausted? Please advise.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 09:40 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>yes<BR><BR>spend a week in barcezlona with a couple of trips to costa brava<BR><BR>peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 10:17 AM
kavey

We went to Barcelona for 5 days and enjoyed every moment of it. We didn't leave Barcelona once, but if we had been there a whole week and had those two extra days we might have taken short excursions to other locations nearby.<BR><BR>There is plenty to do, especially if you take a relaxed approach.<BR><BR>I think I posted a report somewhere but if you can't find it and are interested, email me and I can send it to you.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 01:30 PM
doug

Just spent 3 and a half days in Barcelona that included a half day to Monsarrat (sp?). I'm sure we didn't see everything but we did feel ready to move on. IMHO I'd go to Madrid too if I had a week.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 03:06 PM
michele

You could easily spend a week in Barcelona and the general area ( side trip to Monserrat a must). Lots of museums and the city itself is just lovely.<BR>I didn't get a chance to do this , but Taragona is a day trip from Barcelona and is supposed to be very interesting ( Roman ruins, I believe).<BR><BR>Costa Brava suggestion is good , too.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Gary

It has been several years, but we spent around 4 days in Barcelona, and I wished we had more time. I loved the city, lots to do, lots of nightlife, lots to see, great food. Just a fantastic atmosphere. And, while the Hotel Arts is a little off the beaten path (although near the subway), and you didn't ask about hotels, I can't talk about Barcelona without saying it is, hands down, one of my favorite hotels in the world!!!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Maggie

How I agree with Gary!<BR>There is always something happening in Barcelona and it is certainly my favourite city.<BR>There are lots of day trips that can be done and when you return to the city, it is total switch off - for me anyway.<BR>Spend your time in Barcelona and enjoy the atmosphere.<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Jeri

Hi Susan,<BR>Our family went to Spain 3 years ago, and went to Madrid and Barcelona. My husband, the more conservative, business type, loved Madrid..and all of the classic, traditional Spanish influences. Absolutely loved the Prado Museum...and did some wonderful day trips from there...<BR>I loved Barcelona....it is a beautiful seaside city with many wonderful Gaudi artistic inluences, not to be missed. I agree 100% with Peter. We took a 3 days and the bus up to Costa Brava and absolutly loved it. The ride and the coastline was incredible. I guess it just depends on what time of year you are going also. We went in summer and enjoyed the coolness of the Costa Brava area. Hope this helps,