Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you get peanut butter in Italy? Santa Chiara are you out there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 04:13 PM
liz

I am not a troll, this is a real question! <BR>My friend is visiting realatives in Italy this summer and seems to recall that peanut butter is not readily available. Is this still the case? Please answer quickly as her family is made up of squirrels and they are hungry!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 04:53 PM
Rex

Easier to take it than to find it. <BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 05:03 PM
Lis

You're not a troll? Are you sure? YOu sure look like to me! I saw you walk out of that coffee shop yesterday with that straggly red hair, wrinkly face and squat body with the little pot belly! Ha! You are definately a troll!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 05:08 PM
x

Instead of peanut butter, Italian children eat something called Nutella which is a chocolate hazelnut spread they put on bread. It's great- pick some of that up and add it to your peanut butter from the states. Your own reese cup. yum

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 05:18 PM
liz

Really I am not a troll,(this time) but I am responsible for I just got, up I'm naked... Got to have some fun times! <BR>Anyways this is serious, I suppose I have cried wolf too many times, but oh well. My friend knows about nutella and loves it as well, but she is looking for that special basket of goodies to bring from home(Canada) that her realatives can't get there. Thanks again for your help!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 05:20 PM
liz

I almost forgot lis, I have Blonde hair not red!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 09:11 PM
Santa Chiara

I trust you are not a troll. You can get peanut butter here at most of the chain grocery stores (Pam and Coin, for example) and at many of the smaller speciality stores that carry foreign items, like American coffee. However, I have never seen chunky peanut butter. I think either kind would be fine for a basket since it is not all that readily available. Another you can't get here are ranch-style dressing (this may only be a Texan thing). You also can't get sour cream, which I truly miss, but that would kind of messy to bring across the Atlantic. You might also think about maple syrup, brownie mix, and chocolate chips or homemade chocolate-chip cookies for the basket.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 09:12 PM
Santa Chiara

Oops, I mean Coop, not Coin, which is a department not a grocery story.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 09:19 PM
liz

Thanks so much Santa Chiara, I'll pass the info along.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 10:40 PM
liz

Glo are you out there? Don't be afraid you can ask the questions yourself next time, these people don't bite, ok maybe some of them bite. We aren't really the freaks you think we are. Or are we? <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:25 PM
Glo

Thank-you Liz,and Santa Chiara for sorting out the peanut butter question! I promise I'll be brave in the future even though you all are a bit strange!

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:19 PM

to the top <BR>