Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can we load four 25" suitcases in a Ford C max trunk space?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We really need help!
We'll be renting the new model Ford C max estate (Fusion MPV) through northern Italy to accommodate 4 adults with 4 medium size suitcases (in inches 25x17x10" or in cm: 62.5x42.5x25). So technically we need the total trunk space to be 40" (100 cm)wide x 17 " (42.5 cm)deep to allow us to line all 4 suitcases in a row.
I hope there's somebody in Fodorland who has rented it or maybe even owned one to shed some light on the trunk space dimensions.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 01:22 AM

The C-max has 460 litres of luggage space (to the package tray) according to the brochure. That is 460,000 cc.
That should be enough for your four bags.

There are also two smaller storage areas under the rear passengers foot area, which may be useful too.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 01:29 AM

Do you realise that you may not have this car when you arrive at the pick up? All agreements state you will be given a car in at least the same class. So you could easily end up with something different.
Anyhow here is the link to the tech spec.
javascript:void(window.open('http://www2.fordconnection.com/fordconnection/multimedia/gbr_en/002/yyb/gbr_en002yybdimspc.htm','TechnicalSpecification',' resizable=yes,location=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=ye s,status=yes,toolbar=no,fullscreen=no,dependent=no ,width=744,height=670'))
It is not so big.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 02:49 AM

Here's a link to a picture of the luggage area... looks to me as if you'll be okay:

http://tinyurl.com/2cnekwn

There's a new model due in October so you may get lucky and have the newer model...
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies! I wish I can find out the real width and depth measurements of the luggage space so I know exactly how fat/thick of a suitcase we each can bring.

Hetismij: thanks for the useful info on the space below the seats, do you know anyone who owns the actual car to measure the luggage space? I can't imagine/comprehend 460 litres.

Ribeira: we reserve 2 types of cars but we prefer not to drive a big tank through the small villages
I tried opening your link and tried simpler versions of your link but no success.

ParisA'dam: what a great picture link you have for me! I have the feeling that the pictures make the car look bigger than what it actually is, that's why I still need the actual dimensions.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 06:04 AM

Here's a link to another photo with a person
in the pic... you should be able to judge the
size of the trunk space using her....

http://tinyurl.com/2clv2qx

My concern is there is no cover over the luggage area but with the height available I've no doubt your bags will fit in...
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 07:55 AM

You are worrying far too much. Knowing this size of car, I am confident that it will accommodate the four suitcases you intend to bring. However, you may not have much extra room to all the other bags, cameras, shopping, etc, that you may want to carry at the same time.

Any car of this ilk (Renault Scenic, Citroen Picasso, VW Touran, etc) will have roughly the same amount of luggage space. The luggage space is tall, so cases can stand upright or be laid flat.

All these cars have a cover over the luggage space. In any case, thieves go for the light, portable and valuable, not four suitcases.

We reserved a VW Touran in Italy, but got a Nissa Qashqai. It had plenty of luggage space. It was easy to drive on rural roads, and only the narrowest of city streets would be a problem. You generally park outside hill towns. Many Italian families have cars of a similar size.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 07:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
There is a cover over the luggage area... look at the 3rd photo in your link, ParisAmsterdam. It is being held up by the hatchback door.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 08:12 AM

From what has been discussed, it looks like it will work out but has it occurred to you that four 25" suitcases for four adults is a lot of luggage? Don't know your mix--couples vs individuals--but that's a lot of large luggage! Smaller suitcases is an option and much easier to transport. Good luck.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 09:02 AM

todar
Ref the car you may reserve this Ford Max but if they do not have any in stock when you arrive you may end up with something else say Meagne or a VW. I regular customers. They always hire Ford Focus. But they usually end up with anything but that car. I would not worry about this small detail.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 12:52 PM
Biz

I just drove through Germany for two weeks in a C-Max that I rented from Avis in Amsterdam. see my trip report for more details:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-a-toddler.cfm

good luck!
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 03:18 PM

We rented a Ford C-Max last year when we were in Provence, and were very pleased with the car. There were 3 adults, and we each had a rolling suitcase (about 25x17x10), plus we each had an over-the-shoulder carry-on bag. There was plenty of room in the trunk for the 6 pieces of luggage.

Have fun in Italy, and drive safely.

Robyn
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 04:38 PM

Yes you can, but not sure why you'd want to. That's a helluva lotta luggage. How long are you gone for? Hope you don't have too many stops that require schlepping those bags out of and into the car again.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 04:39 PM

joannyc,

Thanks! Your eyes are sharper than mine! ^)
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 05:02 AM

This probably doesn't affect the matter of luggage capacity, but I saw a review of the new model C-Max today.

There will be two separate C-Max models. One has two rows of seats, conventional rear doors, and a more sporty suspension. The other model is longer, has an additional row of seats, has sliding doors at the rear, and is less sporty in style.

You can read the review at http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...oboost/252855/.