Can we book seats on a charter jet?

Apr 9th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Elsa

Can we book seats on a charter jet?

Wondering if we can book seats on a charter jet if we are not taking the tour for which the charter is booked. My sister is afraid to fly on regular airlines now and would consider flying on an unknown charter. I seem to remember there was a way to book on a charter flight, but can't remember. Any ideas. Thanks for helping me humor my sis, because I want her to go to Italy with me this year.

Apr 9th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Howard

Please enlighten us....Why does your sister think it's safer to fly on a charter?

Apr 9th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Elsa

Terrorists would not be as likely to blow up a charter plane. They would not get as much publicity terrorizing a charter compared to an American or United airline. Hey, it is her logic.

Apr 9th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Osama

Thanks for the tip.

Apr 9th, 2002, 06:16 PM
rand

Elsa, without going into arguments about the logic.
In Canada there is a 'charter' airline called Air Transat on which you may book tickets just like a 'regular' airline. If you are within range to train to a major Canadian city, this may be a possibility for you. They also fly to some USA destinations.They fly to some European destinations.

Apr 10th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Christina

Of course you can -- some airlines only exist as charters and aren't operated solely for tours. I think Corsair, the French airline, is a charter airline and anyone can buy a seat on them -- I think New Frontiers owns them or they have the same parent, try www.newfrontiers.com
Of course, that won't get you to Italy, but you could take Corsair to Paris and then a local airline or train to Italy (I would guess your sis is more worried about international flights). Their website www.corsair.fr claims they have flights to Italy, also.

I really hope your sister would not rather fly on an "unknown" charter than a reputable one. Frankly, I sort of see her logic except any international charter flight will have a lot of people on it, Americans if going from the US, so the logic doesn't persuade me -- I would think it might be easier to get on a charter now than a regular airline.