Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Who might host a commitment ceremony in Italy?

Apr 10th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Kate

With a help of all of your comments, I've been planning an October trip for my partner and I to Firenze, Venezia, Sienna and Assisi to celebrate our 30th b-days. Now we're discussing trying to have private commimentnent ceremony there. Do any of you have any ideas of any resorts or villas that would help us coordinate something like this. I'd love to have an Episcopal or Anglican priest participate, but a girl can only ask for so much I suppose! Any resources you might suggestion would be very appreciated! Thanks!

Apr 10th, 2002, 11:57 AM
elaine

Hi Kate
The Anglican church in Venice is St George's on Campo Vio, which faces the Grand Canal. I don't think they have a website, but you might be able to find the phone number here:
www.aguestinvenice.com

Apr 10th, 2002, 11:57 AM
elaine

sorry that's Campo St Vio
(Dorsoduro)

Apr 10th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Kate

Thanks so much Elaine -- I found it and I'll give them a call.
ciao,
Kate

Apr 10th, 2002, 12:37 PM
You don't have to tell everything but

If you and your partner are both female, you might want to include that in your inquiry.

And if this is the case, I think that you might get some references to websites that have more specialized collections of infomation, relevant to your wishes/needs.

But you're no less welcome here. And share what you find out.

Apr 10th, 2002, 12:45 PM
kate

very good point. I guess "commitment ceremony" can be a bit vague to some. thanks!

Apr 10th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Uncle Sam

What is a commitment ceremony?

Apr 10th, 2002, 01:00 PM
giggle

I think she and her girlfriend are getting married.

I shouldn't giggle, but I'm only five years old, and I giggled when my sister got married too.

Apr 10th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Dawn

Hello Kate -

I am currently planning a wedding in Venice so perhaps I can help. What you are looking for is called a "symbolic wedding" and there are many consultants and other establishments such as hotels that can help facilitate this. However, I am unsure if members of the church oversea these symbolic ceremonies. Based upon my research, the symbolic ceremonies, like the civil ceremony that I am planning, is typically lead by a vice-mayor or someone else associated with the government.

If I were you, I would contact one of the many wedding consultants that plan weddings for Americans. You can try italy-weddings.com or www.weddingsitaly.com for some assistance. Both companies plan symbolic ceremonies all over Italy (in villas, gardens, palaces, etc).

Apr 10th, 2002, 01:28 PM
kate

Thanks very much Dawn, your advice is great -- and I appreciate you taking my request seriously. There are many Episcopal churches here in the states that are performing "holy unions" for gays and lesbians, and I've contacted the two churches in Florence and Venice. I'll definately also have a look-see at the sites you suggest.

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:21 PM

do they both go on top?

of the commitment cake, i mean...