Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

can someone please optimise this schedule?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I plan to be in Italy around March 15th-30th. Would really appreciate inputs on the following:
1. How long does it take from Naples to Palermo by ferry?
2. Is there a boat tour of the Aeolian islands that covers Stromboli, Vulcano and Lipari on the same day?
3. Is Corleone worth a visit?
4. Is there an air connection from Palermo to Genoa? (couldn't find anything on the net). If not, then is there any overnight ferry option from Palermo to Genoa?
5. 4 days in Rome + 2 days in Florence, or 3 days in Rome + 3 days in Florence - which is better?
6. Would it make more sense in (5) above to split it as 3 days Rome + 2 days Florence + 1 day Naples?
7. 2 days in Sicily vs visiting Milan and Turin. Which is better? (i know 'better' is subjective, but for a first timer what would be more advisable).

I have several other questions, but will limit myself to the above seven.
any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:26 AM

Re 4. I know that Ryanair has an air connection Palermo to Pisa. From there, you could go by rail to Genoa. (But see no 7.)

Re 5 and 6. Bad news - there's no right answer. Good news - there's no right answer. If you are stuck, you could always plan a night in between Rome and Florence (which rules out Naples, but not, say, Orvieto) and tell yourself you've split the difference.

Re 7. Here's my rule of thumb: take a look at commercial tour itineraries for the place in question, in this case Sicily. Yes, I know you likely don't want to take a bus tour, but the point is, if bus tour companies spend at least a week in Sicily (and they do) there's your clue as to how big it is. On a first trip to Italy, I'd resist the urge to explore it top to toe, especially in just two weeks.

8. I think you are trying to fix the finer points too soon and it's driving you crazy. Nail down the overall shape - the rest will come in good time.

Enjoy Italy.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:04 AM
ira

Hi R,

>Is there an air connection from Palermo to Genoa?

Have you looked at www.whichbudget.com?

Is there a reason why you are leaving out Venice?

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:36 PM
kja

How much time to spend in various places depends on what you want to see and what you prefer as a pace for travel. Perhaps as you think through what you would most like to do in these places, you'll get a better sense of how much time to spend in them. Then check to see if those things are open on the days you would likely be there, what your transportation options are between cities, etc. Good luck!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM

You can do a quick google image search with just a single keyword, say Sicily. You can see pretty quickly if there are things that spark your interest.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ira, K and Trav.
Am including Venice of course! lonely planet has driven me nuts. too much to see. will attempt rationalisation. thanks for your inputs.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:39 PM

Hello ronsaik, from the dates you have given it seems as though you will have 15 nights in Italy. The day you arrive will be half over no doubt by the time you leave the airport, get to your hotel, check in etc. And you will no doubt have some jetlag. And the last day will be taken up with packing up to fly home, checking out of the hotel, getting to the airport etc. I would assume.

Which airport in Italy are you flying into? And which airport in Italy are you departing from?

With something like 15 nights I would strongly suggest that you keep in mind every time you change locations you will lose a good part of your travel day due to packing up, checking out of the hotel, going to the train station or the airport or the dock. And then again, arriving, getting to your hotel, checking in and getting settled etc.

I don't get a feel for what you want to get out of your trip to Italy except it does seem that you do want to visit Sicily. If that is the case and again with something like 15 nights I would suggest you visit Rome and Sicily.

A typical two week trip to Italy for first time visitors seems to be Rome, Florence and Venice with flying into either Rome or Venice and flying home from the other city so that one doesn't have to backtrack to the airport where they arrived.

I am probably not being much help but I would encourage you to take a good look of a map of Italy and seriously figure out the time that you have and the time you will lose moving from place to place. Wishes to you that you have a wonderful time in bella Italia!