Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can someone help me with prices for trip to Pompeii from Positano?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to figure out how much a day trip to Pompeii costs from Positano using public transit. How much is the bus/train trip return?

Also I just read that guides cost 100 euro at the entrance to Pompeii...is that a typo? Should it be 10 E a person?

Thanks!
Jamie
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Pompeii to Sorrento via CircumVesuviana train about one euro - Amalfi coast buses to Positano may 5 euros - not sure but point is cost is nearly nothing. Trains and buses travel very frequently all day.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thats great, thank you! Anyone know about the guide prices?
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:32 AM

The Sita Bus is not bank-breaking.

But we ran into some problems on our trip from Positano to Pompeii. Stupidly, (in my opinion), they sell the bus tickets at tobacco shops - not on the bus! So, we wanted to depart to Pompeii very early, and because of our poor planning - all the tobacco shops were closed! They didnt open for 2 hours! So we decided to get on the bus anyway, rather than wait.
Of course, that was the ONLY time on our entire trip we saw the "bus police", and of course, he was about the only person we met on our entire trip that did not speak one word of Italian. The fine was 50E per person! Though there were 2 of us, we only had 50E, so he took that! It was a horrible start to the day.
Our day just got worse after that. From a recommendation from our Fodors book, we purchased the audio guides. They stunk...big time. We regretting not getting into one of the group tours at the gate (which was not much more expensive than the audio guide, and far more engaging). We overheard some of the tour guides, and they gave the "first-timer" to Pompeii a wonderful picture of the living city. The guided tours were around 10E a person - definetly not 100E!
Pompeii itself was extremely interesting. However, we were very annoyed about getting fined on the bus, our crappy audio guides, it was blistering hot (there is no shade) and the crowds were thick! (We went in the beginning of July). We found Pompeii fascinating, and unforgettable, but it was a long, hot, and irritating day. This was mostly our own fault, for not buying bus tickets, not getting a guided tour, and being unprepared for the heat. Better planning would have made it a wonderful day - so be forewarned, and have a great time!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:37 AM

SITA buses are public buses all over italy - in orange-hued livery and i think most generally require buying tickets either at a bus kiosk (only in large cities where many buses depart) or typically at Tobacco shops. Tickets not normally sold on the bus.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM

100 Euros for a private guide is correct (we just had one in September). They are licensed guides right outside the entrance. They last about 2 - 2.5 hours. It is truely a private guide for just you and your trip mates. If you have 10 people then it is 10E a person if you have 1 person then it is 100 E.

There may be other guides that are on a per person basis but you might be with a bunch of other folks.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Steviegene, thats horrible!! Definitely will buy tickets prior to departure day!!

Thanks so much for the info!