Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can one select pieces of Golden Pass panoramic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Further to my previous question re Golden Pass I have been looking at the booking website. Is it possible to do Golden Pass Montreux to Zweisimmen, Golden Pass Zweisimmen to Interlaken and then leave the Golden Pass and go to Bern? Then on another day Bern to Interlaken and Golden Pass Interlaken to Luzern? Or is it the case that you have to ride the whole journey on the one day? Did I read that it takes 5 hours!!!
Thanks
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 06:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get on and off anywhere it stops.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 07:09 AM

Like Dukey says each segment is individual though you could buy one ticket to do it all and get on and off en route.

If you want to go to Bern directly leave the GP at Spiez - if go into Interlaken to get to Bern you must backtrack thru Spiez at additional cost and time. for lots of great info on Swiss trains and questions like this I always spotlight these fine sites - www.swisstravelsystem.com (link to Golden Pass site); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

not all cars on GP all segments have panoramic cars BTW - first section Montreux to Zweissimmen many do but other segments may only be in first class or a few - reservations I believe are only required on the first of your segments but to get a seat in panoramic glass-domed car seat reservations are suggested. A Swiss Pass covers the whole route 100%.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

I will have a Swiss Pass because I am really into trains and intend to see as much of Switzerland as I can by train. So I could book and reserve Golden Pass so I had panoramic for Montreux to Zweissimmen and get off at Spietz (It stops there to change trains). And then another day book and get on at Speitz and travel to Luzern - do you think?
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 09:12 PM

Hi 2012moving,

You can take a train from practically anywhere in Switzerland to anywhere else in Switzerland.

One thing to remember about the Golden Pass -- lots and lots of trains run over the same tracks on the same route. Only some of them are designated as "Golden Pass" and have some carriages with different upholstery and larger windows. But even on these GP trains, there are normal carriages for the folks who are just going from A to B.

So, you don't need reservations just to travel from A to B in a normal carriage, even on the GP. But if you want to sit in a seat in one of the special carriages, you can make reservations. If you want to sit in the VIP seats with glass overhead, then you must make reservations (and must travel first class).

You can make reservations just a few days before you travel, or you can make them online at

www.goldenpass.ch

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 10:47 PM

FWIW, my experience has been that the seats in the Golden Pass "classic" trains are the most likely to be booked. They're cute but I'd rather go in the modern cars. Two weeks ago, I traveled in the first class panoramic car from Gstaad to Zweisimmen without a seat reservation (however, I did have a first class GAO - general abonnement, or annual train pass -- and maybe that exempts you from the reservation requirement). Also, IF your intinerary changes and you'd like to go straight to Bern from Zweisimmen rather than via Interlaken, we recommend the direct Lotschberger train - better than taking the Golden Pass to Spiez and then changing.
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

<swandav2000> I'm also looking at William Tell route, Glacier Express route and Bernina Express route. Do regular trains run over these routes also? Is the Glacier Express worth the ride in your opinion? This may seem like a crazy question but can you do the Bernina Express route back from Lake Maggiore area?
Thanks

<FoFoBT>Thanks for the hints. I'm leaning towards "non-panoramic". Am getting a feel for it all now. Shall check out Lotschberger train. Always nice to know the options. So many trains and train timetables! Am currently buried in learning how to work with Trenitalia and SBB websites to get a feel for routes, timings and fares.
Thanks again
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 03:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are plenty of folks who will say the Glacier Express is "overrated" but having done it five times I am not one of them
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

<Dukey1> Is it the views that you like?
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 05:14 AM

Hi again,

Yes, regular trains run over all the tracks all over the country -- just a few have been specially marketed to tourists.

No, unlike Dukey1, I don't think the 8-hour Glacier Express is really a worthwhile trip. In my opinion, it is 3d best of the scenic trains, after the Golden Pass and the Bernina Express. The best part of the GE, imo, is its highest point, between Disentis & Andermatt. Otherwise, it's no better or no worse than any train ride through the Alps.

The Bernina Express runs between Tirano, Italy, and St. Mortiz, Switzerland. So you have to get from Lake Maggiore to Tirano to take the BE.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 07:31 AM

I'm also looking at William Tell route, Glacier Express route and Bernina Express route. Do regular trains run over these routes also?>

Well the main part of the William Tell is the lake steamer ride from Lucerne to Fluelen, at the southernwestern tip of Lake Lucerne - and the William Tell group simply boards a regular boat - a boat the you could take without having anything to do with the Wm Tell group - William Tell even with a Swiss Pass will cost about $30-40 because it includes a full meal on board - it also requires a first class ticket so with a 2nd class pass you have to upgrade to a first class ticket - all in all a fairly expensive thing - and you can ride the boat without extra charge with a Swiss Pass, even in 2nd class and any other boat as well.

And the train part of the Wm Tell from Fluelen yes there are about hourly or so regular trains as well - indeed the Wm Tell group may just have a car or two on regular trains - not sure.
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 09:12 AM

, I don't think the 8-hour Glacier Express is really a worthwhile trip. In my opinion, it is 3d best of the scenic trains>

I agree but parts of the GE route are awesomely scenic it is just that many are not awesomely scenic (still scenic as every part of Switzerland is IMO) - just that it is a marathon that is so so long - and also costs more than other scenic trains like Golden Pass and Bernina Express becasue of the about $30-40 supplement charged to pass holders and above regular trains on that route.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

All of the information you people have supplied is such a help to my planning - which I soon hope to post for comment.

If I was in Lugano could I connect to Tirano by train for Bernina Express route? Some maps I have seen actually show Tirano to Lugano as part of the Bernina Express.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Sory, have just checked myself. There's a 3 hour bus (Swiss Pass?)or a train via Milano 4 hours.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 06:27 AM

I have taken the Bernina Express bus to Tirano from Lugano and Swiss Passes are valid but you need to make a seat reservation and there is a small supplement.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 07:38 AM

I have also taken the Majola Pass bus from Lugano to St Moritz and this bus is a lot more scenic than the Bernina Express bus to Tirano - this bus goes up the awesomely scenic Majola Pass - via many hairpin turns, etc - a real Alpine route - I would then stay in St Moritz and do the Bernina Pass railway as a day trip, allowing time to get off the train at say Alp Grum or Bernina Ospiz - the summit area where you can walk to a glacier and around a glacier-fed alpine lake - walk between the two train stations, etc. To me much better than just taking the train non-stop from Tirano to St Moritz.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 12:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HW2uNmFh0A

Parts of the Golden Pass train have VIP seats - seats that are next to the train driver's compartment and let you simulate driving the train. These VIP seats must be booked far in advance and obviously there are but a handful on each train - there are some at the rear of the train as well I believe.

Check out the video shot from frontal VIP seats!
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Please how do I find that Majola Pass Bus on the SBB site? It sounds much more interesting than the Bernina Express Bus route.
Thanks
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 02:52 AM

You won't find it because Pal has spelled it wrong: it's Maloja, not Majola, and the bus route is called the Palm Express.

http://www.postauto.ch/en/pag-starts...bot-detail.htm

http://www.postbus.ch/pag-startseite...?mode=overview
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Yes, I had figured out Maloja rather than Majola. I have it now.Lugano, Menaggia, Chiavenna, Maloja, St Moritz