can I take my lipstick on board??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who knows if the TSA considers a tube of lipstick a gel item, or is it allowed?? I have gotten lots of conflicting answers.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 06:39 AM

I read that if it is stick lipstick in a tube case, it is ok. If it is a gel with a brush or gel in a pot, it is not ok. I would double check at the airport when you get there as these rules seem to be changing a little every few days. If you get there and find out it's restricted you'll have time to stick it in your checked bag. Have a fun trip!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:50 AM

A solid tube of lipstick is permittable. My bags were hand checked yesterday with lipstick and chapstick and these were not a problem.

A tube of lipgloss (liquid) with a brush or wand is not permittable. They took these items from the lady in front of me.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Jed

TSA (http://tinyurl.com/ptxdw) says that "Lip gels such as Carmex or Blistex" and "Liquid lip glosses or other liquids for lips" are not permitted as carry-on. But of course, the rules will change frequently, and will not matter to some security people no matter what it says.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:27 AM

'Just returned from a flight. Both going and coming, the traditional swivel-tube "stick" lipstick seems okay, but not the gel-type squeeze tubes or pots.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:40 AM

That's right. TSA is trying very hard not to make the traveling public angry by applying their updated security regulations in an inconsistent manner, which is why they've added additional clarification as to what constitutes "essential non-prescription liquid medication" (saline solution, eye drops) and the difference between "lip gels" and "lip glosses" among other things.

If you have a solid tube of lipstick, that should be okay, however, as I stated on the other thread, it might be a good idea to carry old or just about to toss powder blush, eyeshadow and lipstick tubes, so that, if by some chance a decision is made that your lipstick and/or powder eye shadow (some, you know, are a combo. powder/creme) is impermissible, you can toss it with no great loss, as you would have tossed it anyway.

If you are really concerned about taking a particular item, medication, etc. on board, you can always CALL the TSA at your particular departure airport-just look up the number for the "TSA Federal Security Director" in the airport listings, (airports are operated locally-but TSA, as an agency of the Federal Government, operates at each airport independently of the local airport operations-the airport is regulated by the TSA in ALL security matters, and must comply with all security regulations issued by the TSA).

A member of the traveling public can call and ask to speak to one of the Assistant Directors or the FSD. They will be more than happy to assist you- that's what their mission is all about- protecting the traveling public from attacks against civil aviation, and providing good customer assistance while doing so.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 04:18 PM

The answer should be Yes, SO LONG AS you're not taking a flight departing from UK. UK outbound carry-on restrictions include "cosmetics", which would covr lipsticks.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:57 PM

I was one of the unlucky ones...the TSA took two tubes of my new Clinique lipstick out of my handbag on Thursday, 8/10 and tossed them into a container along with the tube of Blistex.