Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I get a prescription sleeping pill in Europe without going to the doctor?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Exhusted

I am an American traveler currently in the middle of a two week driving tour of Europe. Since I arrived a week ago I have not had a good night sleep. I am so tired but can not sleep.<BR><BR>Going to a doctor in Italy seems like a serious chore with the language, health insurance and payment issues. I was wondering, if I just went into a drug store and asked for a strong sleeping pill, would they give me something like Ambien without a doctors prescription?<BR><BR>Help, I am so tired!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Sue

Go to a pharmacy and explain. They are great about coming up with something.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:52 AM
EP

No, you cannot get prescription sleeping pills without a prescription. You can ask for the strongest one they can sell without a prescription, but if you are used to sleeping pills, I doubt that it will help. It is not a hassle to go to see a doctor, and unless he/she is a very old country doctor, he/she will surely understand enough English. If you have travel insurance that covers doctor´s fees, you don´t even need money, all you do is fill a form for the insurance company. And if you have to pay, just pay. Doctors in Europe don´t cost like the ones in US.<BR><BR>But I really got worried about you. You have obviously overworked, and now you are paying for it at the worst possible time. I wish you would have chosen a more relaxing holiday than driving, you are pushing yourself instead of resting. I wish you good luck and sweet dreams, I know what insomnia is like.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Sleepy

Best to stay off those pills, you will get hooked and it will be impossible to sleep without them!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Suzy

The acvtive ingredient in US OTC sleeping aids like Tylenol PM and Sominex is actually the same as the key ingredient in Benadryl -- the antihitamine officially known as diphenhydramine. Perhaps a presecription-strength sedative is unnecessary and you can use this or another antihistaimine nown for causing drowsiness.<BR><BR>But before resorting to chemistry, perhaps you can identify the source of the problem and fix it -- too much coffee, bedroom not as dark or quiet as you're accustomed to, etc. Take a warm barth before bedtime, don't watch exciting TV shows or news in the evening -- the usual remedies.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:01 AM
j

In Barcelona you can get antibiotics, diflucan...just about anything with no description of your symptoms and no doctors' prescription. Just walk into the pharmacy with your shopping list. Pretty damn scary!!! <BR><BR>Germany is like the US- need a Doctor's prescription for just about everything that you would need one for in the States. <BR><BR>Have no idea about Italy. You can walk into a pharmacy and ask.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Carmen

j, I don't know which pharmacy you walked into in Barcelona but I assure you that in Spain you need a prescription for antibiotics and drugs such as "strong" sleeping pills and others.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:03 AM
j

Nope. You are totally wrong. i went to one on Las Ramblas and one in Poble Sec when I needed a refill. No questions asked...antibiotics given OTC.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Sympathetic

#1) I'm pretty sure you need a prescription from a doctor for the real thing, but could probably get something (like Sominex or Tylenol PM) over the counter).<BR><BR>#2) If I was in your prediciment... I would 'bother' with a clinic or doctor. Perhaps your hotel could suggest one. I can't imagine you need to worry about health insurance for one simple visit & prescription.<BR><BR>#3) Do not listen to the crap posted above that you will become addicted from using sleeping pills for your trip to Europe. Personally, I would NEVER travel without them (after an intial sleepless trip that was "not pretty"!).<BR><BR>#4) Sorry too late for this time, but I always get Valium prescribed and filled at home. And use it for the plane flight over, as well as the first 5 nights, & as needed after that. Not quite the knock-out of Ambien, but really does the trick!