Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I carry scissors on a plane?Plastic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Rhonda

I take my needlework with me to do on airplanes or if I have to wait for a long period of time.Can I take scissors or do I just have to use my teeth?

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 07:51 AM
s.fowler

We had a thread on this a little while ago. The consensus is to read a book -- needles aren't permitted either.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Ana

No way. Had my umbrella with me, and it was checked in with the luggage. A friend had a small swiss utility knife, and it was bagged and sent with the luggage too. <BR>

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Mrs. Smith

Yes Rhonda, you can carry your scissors with you, as long as you don't run around with them. <BR> <BR>Mrs. Smith.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Cassie

I just got back from Italy on Oct. 4. I took little infant fingernail clippers with me to cut the thread for my needlework. Security didn't have an issue with it anywhere because the baby fingernail clippers are small and they don't have a file on them. This worked great. Also, no one said anything about my sewing needles either on the way there or on the way back. My needles were small cross stitch type and no one even asked to see them. Good luck and happy sewing.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Catherine

I am so relieved that there is still something I can do on a plane. Usually I used to knit. Even this past June, however, I had trouble getting my knitting needles passed at the luggage check-in. I was finally allowed to carry them on because they were plastic. (Thinking back on the unusual level of security, both on Air Canada and British Midland, it seems clear that some incident was expected already.) I will miss the feeling of accomplishment in getting off the plane with one more pair of socks than I got on with, but I guess I can live with cross stitching instead if I have to. <BR> <BR>The really frustrating thing is that I usually read, or talk, *while* I knit. Can't concentrate otherwise. Cross stitch unfortunately takes more concentration.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 04:33 PM
JOdy

I do needlepoint on planes to pass the time when I can't sleep,just called AA and they said the needles were fine. I can do without scissors as I cut my threads in advance and weave the ends thru

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 10:16 PM
janis

It entirely depends on the security station and airport staff. In the last 3 weeks I have flown or taken eurostar through SFO, Paris, LHR, LGW, DGA and LAX. The standards were different in each place. I saw clippers confiscated. I saw cross stich needles questioned and confiscated after the "lady" threw a fit about the possibility of them being taken away. But I also heard staff say that clippers and needles are OK. <BR> <BR>So - the bottom line is don't take them on board if you value them. Put them in checked luggage. Or, leave them at home and buy new ones at you detination. On the plane read a book or do crossword puzzles or something instead. <BR>

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Rhonda

I will get some of those baby finger nail clippers.For those really long haul flights I would miss not doing my needlework,I read too but chatting gives me a headache(sorry).I don't want to put anyone at risk with my sewing but it seems like flying foodstuffs ricocheting off plastic forks might be a bigger danger.The food is dangerous enough - why not just do sandwiches?.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Christina

I've heard that regular fingernail clippers are allowed as long as the pointy file thing isn't on them. I have always carried them and have used the clipper part to cut tags from new clothes, threads, etc, so they work pretty well. Not sure how easy it would be to take off the file part, but they might be more heavy-duty than baby clippers--looking at a pair, the file is attached at a narrow point at the end and probably could be broken off pretty easily.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 02:29 PM
adrianne

Arrived home from Jo'burg today and my husband's nail clippers and my sismple hotel sewing kit were confiscated and kept. Eurpoean airports are getting very careful and strict with any US flights. If you don't mind losing it, then you can take a chance.