Reload this Page >

Travelling by car in Portugal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Nelva

Myself and my boyfriend will be travelling by car in Portugal for a week, starting 23 of Oct. Any sugestions or advices. Tnks Nelva

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 02:11 PM
lucia

one sugestions,keep an eye on the road all times i just read one studie the potugal has the hight's accident's if anything take a taxi or train much safer also buses are not bad,good luck have fun it's a wonderfull place and the people are very friendly and warm that is one thing i miss the most when i moved away.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 02:26 PM
portugaltraveler

It is funny, so many people afraid of dying in a plane on the way to Europe when your chances of dying driving in Portugal are much higher. People drive crazy there. High accident rate-watch out!

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 05:14 PM
John G

I agree!! I have two close friends in Lisboa and they are both crazy drivers. In fact, one night on the way to dinner,Rogerio, was in an accident with me in the back seat. You should see the cars in Lisboa, all full of dents.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Ruth

We read the statistics and anecdotes about driving in Portugal - however we went ahead with some trepidation. We were fine - you have to concentrate, but outside big cities there is relatively little traffic - that is the main thing. On major roads there are often "half-lanes" on the right side - be prepared to pull into these if you see an overtaking car coming towards you! It is also polite to pull in slightly if someone behind wants to pass you. Not all roads are metalled (paved)in remote areas - allow plenty of time for journeys. Do you plan to drive every day? <BR> <BR>Having said all this - we had one of the best vacations ever - Portugal is lovely.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 03:56 AM
j

Hi Nelva <BR> <BR>I could try to help you a little if you were more specific. <BR> <BR>As a general rule, respect the speed limits, use common sense and you'll be OK. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 02:47 PM
adrianne

Drove around Portugal without a problem. Try to get a good map and use the toll roads. Though the tolls are very expensive, it is worth it for the quality of the roads and the efficiency.