Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can both Delphi and Olympia sites and museums be done in the same day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we arrive in Delphi in the evening and attend at the site and museum the first thing the next morning, can we then drive to Olynpia and see the site and the museum that same day before they close?

According to Rick Steves, each location and museum can be done comfortably in approximately 3 hours.

Our goal is to then drive to Napflion and reach it for a late dinner.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:39 PM

Same answer as on TA. You are looking at 3 to 4 hours at each site plus 8 hours of driving time all in one day. Greece is about slowing down, taking it all in, relaxing seeing the sites, reflecting on the past. Your plan is simply too much in too short a time.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:21 PM

"Any advice" ... No.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Stanbr - thanks for your comments. As I indicated to those who answered on TA, I am going to take your suggestion of slowing down.

Jan - why bother to waste your time to type such a response?....just wondering.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 06:51 PM

<< Jan - why bother to waste your time to type such a response?....just wondering. >>

She answered your question. That doesn't seem to be a waste of time to me. The answer was quite succinct but it was an answer.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Not trying to make an issue, but if one has nothing at all to add or suggest, one should actively type in "No"?

I guess that I am a bit surprised especially because it came from Traveljan, one of the regulars who so often is willing to take the time to pass on her knowledge and counsel.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 07:32 PM

Her responses are always enlightening and I'm looking at Greece threads since I would like to go there next year. We'll have to wait and see if she comes back to give more info. It is late on the east coast.

My advice is to get a better guide book than Rick Steves. I find he doesn't give the whole picture but tells about places he likes and omits quite a bit. I prefer a more comprehensive guide.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 07:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>Jan - why bother to waste your time to type such a response?....just wondering.<<<

You've already been told no on another board and you just wanted to be told no again?
Why bother asking again?........just wondering.

I agree with Jan. You asked a question(Can both Delphi and Olympia sites and museums be done in the same day?), you wanted an answer and you got an answer. That answer was no. No matter how many times you ask, the answer is still no and it's not going to turn to yes.

Spend the night in Delphi. It's a nice little town with great views.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Kybourbon - I was initially asking the question on both sites at basically the same time to give myself the opportunity of receiving comments from two sources - Once I received the answers I agreed that the 2 sites could not be covered in the same day - I wasn't trying to ask the same question a second time.

In regards to Jan's answer, in looking at it as a specific brief response to my question regarding the possibility of doing the 2 locations on the same day, I now see her, and your, point.

Unfortunately, I obviously misinterpreted her "No" as an uncharacteristically curt response to my request for "any advice".

I owe Jan an apology.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 07:31 AM

That's OK.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 08:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree about spending the night in Delphi. I saw a spectacular sunset there, and there was a little antique shop where I wish I had bought just a couple more things.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 08:31 AM

Nikki - where is the antique shop? And was there any particular place to watch the sunset (starting to gather info for next year). Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 08:35 AM

Is Delphi worth 2 nights or is 1 night and a day sufficient. I keep reading about how lovely it is and I wonder if it's the type of place to relax for a day after seeing the sights. If plans go as I imagine them, I'll be in the 4th or 5th week of a trip and will be looking for down time. I love gazing at the water and sitting in a taverna nursing an ouzo or three - is Delphi the place?
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM

The views from just about everywhere in Delphi are spectacular. The view from our hotel window was wonderful, and most places seem placed for the views. It is a very small town, clinging to a mountainside.

The antique store was on the street parallel to the main street but a block higher up. This was five years ago, so I don't know whether he's still there, but I loved wandering around that shop. I have some old pots and sheep bells and a horseshoe or two for the memories.

If you are gazing at the water from Delphi, you are looking a long way down the mountain.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks Nikki.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Nikki - where in Delphi did you stay?
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 12:50 PM

I don't seem to have recorded the name of the hotel anywhere accessible, including my trip report. I was with a group tour for three nights, so I didn't select the hotel myself. It was mostly a place for tour groups in any event, I believe, and I probably would not seek it out.

You might be interested in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 07:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I loved Delphi and the views from my hotel balcony to the sea below and off to one side, snow-capped Mt. Parnassus (it was late March/early April). Delphi is tiny, only a few streets. It won't take you long to wander the streets and check out the shops. Look at Delphi on Google maps, click satellite and zoom in a bit to see how tiny.