Greece October Itinerary Help

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece October Itinerary Help

I’m planning a driving trip through Greece at the beginning of October and am being told my itinerary is insane, as I’m trying to pack too much in and the distances I’m looking at traveling are just nuts. The following is bare-bones, but I’m hoping for some feedback by you travelers who have a better lay of the land. Thank You!

Days 1 & 2: Athens
Day 3: Rent car: Corinth & Epidaurus [Nafplion Hotel]
Day 4: Nafplion & Mycenae [Gythion Hotel]
Day 5: Caves of Diros & Sparta (grandmother’s village) [Gythion Hotel]
Day 6: Mystras up to Olympia (?) [Olympia Hotel (?)]
Day 7: Drive to Delphi [Delphi Hotel]
Day 8: Delphi; whisk past Thermopylae head to Kalambaka [Kalambaka hotel]
Day 9: Meteora head to Volos [Volos hotel]
Day 10: Volos; head south [Lagonissi hotel]
Day 11: Sounion back to Athens (return car) [Athens Hotel]
Day 12 to 15 Santorini – Ferry to Santorini; fly out of Santorini (a.m.) to Athens Airport; ATH to LAX
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:12 AM

You are certainly pushing it - a lot! 9 or 10 hotels in 2 weeks is a lot of time spent checking in and out etc., never mind the driving. I think you should probably cut down on the number of places you plan to visit (you can always add extra on once you are there if you have time), and try to cut down on thye number of hotel changes.
I think I would start by haveing 2 nights at Nafplio instead of 1, visiting Corinth on the way from Athens to Nafplio. I would then use Nafplio as a base to visit Mycenae, Epidaurus and see Nafplio itself. I don't think you can manage Mystras and Olympia in 1 day - never mind the driving! I would pick Olympia as it seems to fit in more with the drive to Delphi. I would also cut out Volos and Langonissi and devote more time to the other places. If you cut down on the number of places in your plans, you will allow time to explore some places you come across during the driving.

Carolena
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM

I had to go take a nap after just reading this! Slow down or Greece will pass by outside while you're driving...............
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:08 PM

Seems much too much for me too! We went to Greece last year and spent 2 weeks in the Pelopponese only, and sometimes wished we had done less, although everything was breathtaking. Check out my trip report called "Back from the Peloponnese - A Trip Report!" for ideas on how long it takes to drive, etc.
(Reserve at least 4 hours for Mystras. The Mani deserves a full day. We loved it there).

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, everyone!! I had a feeling I was a liitle drunk on my Hellenic desires...