Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me if this would be a good location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this 3 room apartment on www.france-paris.fr and VRBO.com and I'm wondering if it's in a good location.

My husband and I will be bringing our, then, 19 month toddler. We need to be within a few blocks of shops, resturants, delis for lots of take out and eating in at night, pharmacies (just in case), metro, etc. Also being close to an area where our son can play would be a BIG PLUS. We won't be on a demanding schedule planning on seeing at least 1 major sight a day and we will NOT be staying out most nights. Early mornings and nights! We have a toddler that likes to sleep 13 hours straight and I hope he sleep in Paris too! Nightlife and clubs are not important, but food and shops (diapers!) are. Quiet nights are better for us. We love walking and we'll have a stroller, but if this is really out of the way, isolated or not ideal please tell me what you think...

Here is the description of where this apartment is:
"This is a 3 room-apartment suitable for up to six persons. Imagine you leave the apartment and immediately see the Invalid's Dome. Or just walk for 2 minutes and see the Eiffel-Tower in its entire beauty.....not only just the top.....the entire Eiffel Tower! The walk to both attractions ( Eiffel-Tower and Invalid's Dome) leads through the green space of the Champs de Mars or Avenue Breteuil. The next metro-station is also just 2 minutes away and when you turn right from the apartment you'll be in some minutes in Montparnasse or in St. Germain des Prés, Jardin de Luxembourg etc. The address is Boulevard Pasteur.

The apartment has six windows. This is special because many Parisian apartments have just a view in a shabby courtyard. Lodging with us you'll know that you're in Paris ! The apartment is on the second floor (third floor American) and the building is a corner house - that's why it has six windows. You'll have just 5 neighbors. At your breakfasts or in the evenings, while drinking wine, you'll have an interesting view of the street. Downstairs before the house is a big crossroad and the nearist Metro-station, several bus-stops and a taxi-rank. The apartment is at the border between the 7. and 15. Parisian district."

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:18 AM

I think people need the address to judge the location. Many times the times and distances are fudged, although I can't say if that is so in this case.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:19 AM

Sorry, I see that you said it's on Boulevard Pasteur. How long a street is that? I think that's a reasonable location, but I'd have to look it up. Is this in the 15th arrondisement?
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:25 AM

Get the address and Mapquest it.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Let me get the address and I'll post it when I have it.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:29 AM

What's the exact address? The Boulevard Pasteur begins where the Avenue de Breteuil and the Boulevard Garibaldi come together, and runs south past the Gare Montparnasse. It's quite a bit of a stretch to imply that either the Eiffel Tower or the Invalides are just a hop, skip, and a jump away from anything on the Boulevard Pasteur. Note that the description says you can "see" the Invalides and Eiffel Tower - well, sure, you can see the Eiffel Tower and Les Invalides from loads of places that are a couple of miles or more away.
Anyway, it could be a nice location or it could be the part of Blvd. Pasteur that's right across the street from the Gare Montparnasse, which wouldn't be so great.
An exact address would help figure this out.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

I emailed the owner about the exact address...Hopefully he'll respond soon. Here is something that might provide "clues" in the meantime. This is what the VRBO posted:

Location: Paris Arrondissement 7, Paris, Ile-de-France (Paris Area), France, Europe (Metro-Station Before Door, Also Eiffel Tower, Invalides,)

We've never been to Paris, so does this help?
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:39 AM

I didn't see any mention of an elevator in the description of the apartment. That would be a definite requirement for me with a toddler and stroller!
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:44 AM

When you do have the street address...and before you give them your deposit, you might take a moment and go to:
http://photos.pagesjaunes.fr/

Upper right hand corner (I think)you can "get" the site in English...you put in the address and using the arrows, see pictures of the address, up and down the street and side streets, etc.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Wow SuzieC....Pretty cool there! I am a waiting the address!
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:16 AM

You can also use www.mappy.com and get tube or pedestrian itineraries, to help you figure out the distance from the apartment to a particular attraction.

Just being picky, but if there is a big crossroads right in front of the apartment, it's probably a noisy street.

From what you've posted, I'd definitely consider it if you get a good price (and if noise, no elevator, etc. aren't a problem).
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:17 AM

"Paris 7" means the apartment is in the 7th arrondisement.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:20 AM

It would be helpful for comments if you said what the number is on VRBO as it might make it more obvious. I couldn't see any apt on there that fit that description but can tell from apt-ad "speak" that this apt. is probably in the 15th, and there is no elevator. Whether the 7th or 15th doesn't really matter if it's on bd Pasteur, which is a major street and I would probably not choose an apt on it. There are some govt and institutional builings at the upper end of it (a major hospital and school) and it's near UNESCO--that's probably where this is if they are telling the truth and it's on the border. That is also near the train station and there is a new park/garden near the rear of that where people take kids (Jardin Atlantique). So it would be near the Sevres-Lecourbes or Pasteur metro stops, probably. I think it might be better if it were at the bottom end, myself, which is near Jardin Atlantique and I know a large good grocery store near there, although maybe not within a couple blocks.

I think there are enough places to buy things around there on Vaugirard or Lecourbe, etc., but I wouldn't want to be on that major street.

I just looked at it on the first URL you gave (never saw it on the second), and it does look kind of nice and has AC. It says it is near a major traffic crossroads and a taxi rank, so must be near Sevres Lecourbes metro stop.

I wouldn't take it because of the size and the description. Assuming this is not an error, it claims to be a 2-bedroom apt. but only 64 sq meters or around 700 sq ft. This is impossible for any decent apt, that is the size of an avg. one-bedroom apt., not even that large. I don't know how you could fit two bedrooms into that amount of space. They talk about an upper second bedroom, so what they've done it build a platform space above the regular room, which is becoming popular in small Parisian apts. This isn't a real upstairs. They also claim that one of these small bedrooms has four single beds in it. They are literally wall-to-wall beds or smaller than even a normal twin-size bed (which is not impossible, I've seen that in small Parisian apts., beds only 70-90 cm wide).
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:36 AM

Maybe I know lots of people with small apartments, but 700 square feet doesn't strike me as that small, particularly for a three-room vacation rental in Paris.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:36 AM

When I was researching an apartment rental in Paris, I came across this same. But, since I had seen so many rental websites, I noticed that this guy had posted pictures of other apartments, trying to pass them off as pictures of his own. When I emailed him about it, I got a weird answer. Seems really sketchy to me.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Here is the exact address:
Boulevard Pasteur 4, 75015 Paris

I'm going to start pulling up maps, but I've never been to Paris. Please advise.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Here's the listing on VRBO

www.vrbo.com/42954

Exact address:
Boulevard Pasteur 4, 75015 Paris
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:28 PM

Thats only about 5 blocks from where we have stayed several times, and going again next June.

Plusses - Excellent Metro & bus transportation. Busses go directly to Bon Marche, St Germain des Pres, Luxenbourg gardens, Louvre, and lots of different places. We almost never took the metro, because the busses went almost everywhere without having to even change busses. With a stroller, they's probably give you the first seat on the bus - common practice in Paris.

It's on the corner of Rue Lacourbe, which has many shops & lots of carry out food places a few blocks west. Two grocery stores, several pharmacies and many pizza places. There is an outdoor market area around R Lacourbe & R des Volontaires (2 blocks away from you) every day except Monday. This is also where most of the carry out places are located.

Excellent view of the dome at Les Invalides and you can probably see most of the Eifel tower too.

I'm pretty sure that there is a merry-go-round under the metro station, which is just across the street.

Minuses - as someone else pointed out, unless they say that they have an elevator, they probably do not.

The metro that runs right down Blvd Pasteur & Blvd Garibaldi is above ground there, so it might be noisy.

There is a lot of foot traffic there because there is a metro stop plus several streets coming together with a lot of bus stops.

The apt we rent is 700 sq ft & has 1 good sized bedroom, a nice living room, and a seperate dining room plus small kitchen. It rents for $1,400 per week. The listing says that the apt is large for a Paris apt.

The block your place is on is almost entirely occupied by a school, with just a very small section that is not a school - probably your apt.

In conclusion - The area is excellently situated for what you are looking for. The specific apt on a busy street with a metro stop & a transportation hub might create some problems. It's quite quiet where we stay just 5 blocks away.

Obviously, I can't comment on your specific appartment.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 02:05 PM
ira

Hi bh,

Enter the address at www.mappy.com. You are less than 2 blocks from 2 metro stops.

Good review from Stu.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 03:47 PM

You might look at www.beau-paris.com. "rue Borommee" apartment. We stayed there last Sept. Very nice,clean apt with elevator or one flight of stairs.Quiet residential neighborhood,many stores for food and dining. Very near bus and metro. Can't beat the price-600 euros for a week. And Phillipe speaks English and is a charming,enterprising young man.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -