Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend good restuarnts to eat at in Rothenburg or Garmisch?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2005, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like some recommendations in Rothenburg or Garmisch to eat lunch and dinner at? Thanks!
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 04:27 AM

Here are a few places we enjoyed on our trip back in 2000. I hope they're still good:

Baumeisterhaus
Obere Schmiedgasse, 3
Rothenburg
We had their sauerbraten, loin of pork, spatzel, and a salad. Wine and beer. $32.

Ratsstuben
Marktplatz 6
Rothenburg
This place served a delicious white asparagus soup. I also had a hugh salad with artichokes, ham, and cheese. Tony had bratwurste with sourkraut. $25.

Reichs-Kuchenmeister
Kirchplatz 8
Rothenburg
For appetizers, we had smoked salmon and escargots. We both enjoyed their weinerschnitzel with spatzel; beer and wine. We had dessert too, but I don't remember what we had. $54. This was one of our best meals in Germany.

Monica
http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 10:40 AM

I am of no help. I need to start keeping track of where we eat. I can find the places when I go back, but the names don't stick. My wife even takes pictures of our meals. Part of the joy of traveling is sharing with others and I'm letting my travel mates down.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 11:01 AM

If you're in the mood for something other than German food, head for the Ristorante Pizzeria Renzo, Rathausplatx 6, Garmisch (along a main road). We had a delicious meal there.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 12:38 PM

We loved Gasthof Fraundorfer in Garmisch-Partenkirchen for dinner. I don't think they do lunch. Here's the review from TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...s_Bavaria.html

The food is great, but the atmosphere is the star. If you're lucky, you'll share a table with other guests, as we did. The atmosphere is so much fun people's normal reserve breaks down and conversation and laughter flows. The food is great and ample.

Reservations a must.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 01:41 PM

Restaurant Glocke has good reasonably priced German food and a sampler of the wines of the area. You get 5 small glasses of different wines. You can choose dry or semi-dry. A lot of fun!
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 01:57 PM

Check out WWW.Bavariaben.com. Look at the trip reports. Many good ideas from a great website
JOHN
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM

If you have a car, the small town of Colmberg just a few klicks east of Rothenburg has a castle hotel with a very nice restaurant.

http://www.burg-colmberg.de/index_e.html
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 02:16 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The Bavaria Ben site can be found here:

www.bensbauernhof.com

I second Underhill's recommendation of Pizzeria Renzo - my all time favorite place in Garmisch.

My favorite place in Rothenburg is the Restaurant Rothenburger Kartoffelstube in the Gasthof Rodertor. Great place, especially if you like potato dishes.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 03:22 PM

ROTHENBURG: The restaurant in the Hotel Reichs Kuchenmeister is very good. Great ambiance, casual, good food. Yhe Reichs is located next to to St Jacobs church near the town square and tourist office, so easy to find.

There is also a restaurant in town call HELL. It is located in an old forge near the criminal museum. We ate downstairs. Fun place and interesting.

GARMISCH: There is a good Italian restaurant in Garmisch located on a major intersection. I cannot remember the name, but we usually make one stop there when in town.