Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

which SIM card service is better? (Italy)

Dec 18th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

I have a Motorola Razr which I know is quad band and unlocked.

I am going to be studying abroad in Milan, Italy for 7 months, and I will most likely travel throughout Italy, I am deciding between Piccell, Riiing (now United Mobile) and GT-Sim.

Does anyone have any experience with any of those services and can tell me either good or bad things.

Also what service does callbackworld and enlinea provide, I don't really understand either and going to their websites hasn't been very helpful. Is it because you don't get charged for incoming calls with most European SIM cards?
Dec 18th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Both riiing and gt-sim are international sim cards that is they provide service in every country in Western Central and Eastern Europe west of Russia. They are not Italian sims...Italian has many different sims including WIND, TIM, Vodafone IT among others. I am not familiar with Italian prepaids. You can read up about them on www.prepaidgsm.net...

It is not clear whether or not you will be better off with an Italian sim or an international sim.

Riiing which is now United Mobile is great for those who will be spending time in various European countries. In all these countries, riiing provides free reception of calls the caller pays for a call to Liechtenstein which is very very variable.

Callback world and enlinea are internet callback services. They work like this. They give you a US based phone number. You call that number whether on riiing, gt-sim or an Italian sim (you provide your mobile number)...the call will not be completed eithr with an unanswered ring or a busy signal. So no charge. The computer then calls you back on your mobile number...as you are receiving if on riiing or gt-sim no charge and the computer asks you to enter the number you are calling. I know cbw charges 14/minute timed in 6 second intervals for calling the USA via riiing...enlinea charges 12/minute to call the USA via riiing again in 6 second intervals. If you are using an italian prepaid, you will pay in the vicinity of 40/minute to call via cbw or enlinea to the USA....

The drawbacks are that both cbw and enlinea are internet providers and have not been completely reliable in terms of calling you back on riiing and the quality of the calls like all internet providers varies from acceptable to poor but when the system is working, they are bargains.

You might wait till you get to Italy to get your prepaid Italian sim and see what your friends have. Buying a prepaid sim is the easiest thing in the world. If you want to go with riiing, you can buy a riiing sim on the united mobile web site (www.united-mobile.com) for €39 incuding €15 worth of credit including shipping to the US.
Dec 18th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I sort of feel like an international SIM card might be better than an Italian one, since I hopefully will be travelling around, and I'm looking at Italian SIM cards now and I'm not really getting any of the information I want, whereas Riiing and GT-SIM are really easy navigation. But thanks for replying, I really really appreciate it!
Dec 18th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Actually I think maybe an Italian SIM card might be better, but I'm looking at the websites and finding it very difficult to find rates, but thanks again!
Dec 18th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Did you look at www.prepaidgsm.net in the operators section.....
Dec 18th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Yeah I did, but I was having a lot of trouble just finding the rate for calling someone in Italy. I finally did with TIM, but the other ones, Vodafone and Wind kept transferring me back to Italian and I am doing final exams right now, so I am kind of just stressing, but thanks for your help.

I did find rates for TIM, but I feel like Piccell is better, though I heard complaints about Piccell's outrageous rates, which is why I was trying to research other ones, but it looks cheaper.

Calls originating from anywhere in the world, while you are in Italy (even calls from US)
Everyday 24 hrs/day € 0.00

FRIEND TO FRIEND
Domestic calls between the Piccell Wireless' contract TIM phones and Voice Mail
Everyday 24 hrs/day € 0.073

ON NET
Calls to fixed phones and other TIM phones
Everyday 24 hrs/day € 0.217

Though there is a connection fee

And Piccell is the one IES suggested we get. So I guess I am going to go with that. And maybe use enlinea as well.

The whole thing is just stressing me out, and I know it doesn't need to. You're very helpful though, I can see you all over the cell phone threads, I hope you know how much it is appreciated.
Dec 18th, 2005, 02:55 PM

I had a Riing card from Telestial that I intended to use in Copenhagen. Never could get it to work for outgoing calls though it would accept incoming calls. I used a Vodafone card in Italy which worked fine.
Dec 18th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks I really appreciate it!