Notices

Camping in Portugal

Old Jun 25th, 2020, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camping in Portugal

Hi

Me and my friends are planning a road trip to Portugal in August. We would like to hire a camper for 4 ppl and cruise along the coast, and do some surfing.
That said I read that camping is prohibited except for designated camping areas - it is allowed to park the car by a road, but not to camp. This is quite understandable for the safety reasons, however I was wondering about camping at some "unspoilt by human /wild" terrains, preferably close to the oceanside.
We will obviosuly keep it safe, and clean- but would love to avoid busy campings, and stay as close to nature as possible.
Does anyone here know if the Portugese are strict about giving tickets to those who want to camp outside of esignated camping fields ?

Old Jun 25th, 2020, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Portuguese are strict about wildcamping, especially in a camper. Stick to campsites and designated camper stops.
Look at www.campercontact.com for info on places to stay.

If you are from outside the EU/Schengen/UK you might want to hang on before booking since it is not yet clear whether non EU etc residents will be allowed this summer or not.
In a normal summer campers are very popular in Portugal, and places can get crowded. It can also be very hot sleeping in a camper!
I hope you are used to driving a large vehicle and know that with a normal car licence you can only drive one with a maximum load of 3500Kg, and if you excede that you can get a heft fine and not be allowed to continue. Four adults in a camper, with gear, food, water etc will quickly go over that limit.
You also need to be aware of toll roads and speed limits, which are enforced and fines can be high.