Paris is now zoned Green

Search

Paris is now zoned Green

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2020, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris is now zoned Green

Pursuant to Sunday’s announcement by Emmanuel Macron, Paris is now zoned green. This means that restaurants are allowed to open ahead of the previously announced date of 22 June. Additionally, EU borders are to open, one may freely travel among EU countries.

Several items affecting restaurants:
  • Group tables are limited to a maximum of 10 people.
  • Servers must wear masks.
  • Tables must be distanced at least 1 meter apart.
  • Restaurants have been given unprecedented freedom to expand outside on sidewalks, street car parking, and, in some cases, in the streets themselves closing them altogether. This expanded space is typically taxed by the city but restaurateurs may expand tax free through the end of September. Some restaurants now how more tables than ever before. Others, those with traditionally close interior tables only, may not have the facilities to remain viable unless the 1 meter distancing rule is suspended.
These measures will be helpful to many restaurants but those without terraces, sidewalks, or curbside parking may face even harder times. Some industry experts have estimated that up to 40% of all Parisian restaurants could close by the end of the year if they were not allowed to open soon.

https://www.lefigaro.fr/vox/societe/...-juin-20200604

With the borders opening, a slow economic recovery should begin. Two important unknowns:
  • How will a possible 2-week quarantine for those visiting from the UK affect tourism.
  • When will those from North America be able to enter France.
Portugal has announced unlimited access for international travelers beginning 1 July. How one Schengen country opening its borders might affect what other Schengen countries do is not yet clear.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 04:28 AM

One thing I think the US has done right is stick to the 6' social distancing "rule". One meter is still far too close for me to sit at a restaurant. At least in a store or on the sidewalk, I can move away from the other people as needed. Hard to do when you're eating dinner.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by sf7307
One thing I think the US has done right is stick to the 6' social distancing "rule". One meter is still far too close for me to sit at a restaurant. At least in a store or on the sidewalk, I can move away from the other people as needed. Hard to do when you're eating dinner.
Admit to not knowing my metric distances so I have been under the assumption that the 1 meter was about the same as 6 ft. read this post...looked it up and see it is only 3.2 FT. Come on....if you have a table with chairs they pretty much have to be that far apart to allow for chairs in/out....guess it will be every other table n those long line up of tables that are so popular in Europe. For anyone really taking social distancing serious that would not be a comfortable situation.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 06:00 AM

I just hope that a lot of restaurants which have a lot of tourists offer takeaway options and sign on for things like Deliveroo or other online order/delivery services.

And that hotels have things like larger trash bins and maybe even some utensils available for people who’d rather get take away meals than risk crowded restaurants, particularly those with mainly inside tables.

There are pictures from recent days of a lot of people crowding together on outside tables in NYC. They just eased restrictions about a week ago. Cuomo is threatening to reimpose lock down orders or even revoke liquor licenses.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 06:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Assuming that you are worried about people sneezing, coughing or spitting on you, the direction you are facing is much more important than the distance between tables.

Last edited by Moderator1; Jun 15th, 2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

I believe that kerouac is only offering a solution to anyone who feels that he might be too close to someone else. In terms of restricting access to France, it is the French government who presently prohibits those from North America from entering into the country.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How my husband and I long to visit Paris and dine in our favourite restaurants. Unfortunately, we live in the United States and can't enter Europe right now. 😫

Thin,aristocrat 🏳️‍🌈
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 09:19 AM

From some of the photos I've seen of Parisians congregating in parks, etc., some of them aren't very concerned about coronavirus and aren't following the rules now. I was shocked to read in the last few days somewhere that they actually still intend to go on with that "Paris Plages" bit with supposedly some health measures. Right, just like the parks, I guess. That isn't remotely necessary to have that thing, I understand the concerns about restaurants and cafes much more.

So the question is given how so many cafes have this banquette seating all along some area, is that entire are considered a "table" or what? They usually do have small tables along there but the tables are usually only a couple inches apart, and you often have to move one just to sit down on the inside banquette seat. Those are my favorite seats actually. So I guess these cafes would just have to make sure people were only seated every other table? That could work.

Last edited by Moderator1; Jun 24th, 2020 at 10:25 AM. Reason: deleted unnecessary snark
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 10:23 AM
Forum Moderator

we edited and deleted several tit for tat argumentative posts
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 10:23 AM

There are lots of forbidden spaces in cafés and restaurants (and of course on buses and in the metro), so there is no need to worry about that.

As for Paris Plages, the locals will go to the designated areas along the Seine and the Bassin de la Villette with or without Paris Plages. At least within the Paris Plages framework, there will be surveillance of social distancing, far better than if Paris Plages were cancelled -- therefore no reason to be shocked.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 03:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I am hoping the cafes in Paris have much success. My brother isn't opening his restaurant, the 50% rule in NY just does not make it profitable. One of the chefs is doing take out two nights a week, they are doing prepped meals one day and the wine store is open. It is nice that in France they are letting them spread out more on the sidewalks but some have very little outdoor space. We have so many new cases in Fl I can't see us being let into Canada much less France.
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 07:14 PM

[QUOTE=Christina;17116629]From some of the photos I've seen of Parisians congregating in parks, etc., some of them aren't very concerned about coronavirus and aren't following the rules now. I was shocked to read in the last few days somewhere that they actually still intend to go on with that "Paris Plages" bit with supposedly some health measures. Right, just like the parks, I guess. That isn't remotely necessary to have that thing, I understand the concerns about restaurants and cafes much more.

So the question is given how so many cafes have this banquette seating all along some area, is that entire are considered a "table" or what? They usually do have small tables along there but the tables are usually only a couple inches apart, and you often have to move one just to sit down on the inside banquette seat. Those are my favorite seats actually. So I guess these cafes would just have to make sure people were only seated every other table? That could work.

Paris Plages was developed for those who could not get out of Paris during vacation time. It's a class thing.

Last edited by Moderator1; Jun 24th, 2020 at 10:27 AM. Reason: deleted partial quote of an edited post
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Michael
I believe that most cars' engines are on the metric system.

Paris Plages was developed for those who could not get out of Paris during vacation time. It's a class thing.
PP is outside, mainly aimed at children, so I don't see where the exact danger in that is. Also, what do you mean by "it's a class thing".
Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 07:09 AM

Mass parties in Paris.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/ma...s_4017437.html

Organizers will get fined?
Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 07:50 AM

Not at all, and most of it was not officially organized anyway, so there would be no one to charge if a law was broken.

After 99 days of cinems closures, I went to the movies today. I very much liked Filles de Joie.

Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by scrb11
Mass parties in Paris.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/ma...s_4017437.html

Organizers will get fined?
Not sure what they expected. Not a mask in sight!
Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by menachem
PP is outside, mainly aimed at children, so I don't see where the exact danger in that is. Also, what do you mean by "it's a class thing".
It wqas for the working class who did not have the opportunity to leave Paris. I do not think that it was child oriented at the beginning.

https://flic.kr/p/7D1XcU https://flic.kr/p/7Drh3f
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Michael
It wqas for the working class who did not have the opportunity to leave Paris. I do not think that it was child oriented at the beginning.

https://flic.kr/p/7D1XcU https://flic.kr/p/7Drh3f
It was aimed at their children, Michael. That's why the emphasis on children's activities that was there from the start ( I used to do Paris as a beach destination for my son, then 8, so I'm a veteran of "early PP")
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 07:23 AM

Yes, it was always "family" oriented, not for tourists and not for hipsters. But of course anybody who wants to go there can do so. I confess that I almost never visit the overrun Seine site full of poseurs, but I really like the Villette site with the zip line for kids, all of the little paddle boats, the swimming pools, the retro dance floors and all of the pétanque and the increasingly popular games of mölkky. Thank god that most of the tourists have never found the Bassin de la Villette.
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 08:11 AM

I believe that La Villette was a later expansion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -