Notices

Camping in Europe?

Old Apr 16th, 1997, 06:56 PM
Emilie

Camping in Europe?

I'm trying to plan a cheap way to travel around Europe. Is camping realistic? I've also heard about youth hostels, but I don't know much about them.
Do you know where I could find some information about these two? Thanks.

Old May 3rd, 1997, 09:44 AM
Stacy Nyholt

Hello! I work for a store run by the Hostelling Association in Edmonton, Canada and can help you with your question. Hostels are everywhere in Europe, particularly in central Europe and the UK. You will pay $20-$30 a night for a bed in a hostel. The facilities vary a lot from place to place from really great historical buildings to brand new purpose-built hostels, but generally you will have dorm style rooms with 2 - 6 beds in each (usually bunks) that you share with others of the same sex. Sometimes co-ed rooms are available. The bathrooms and showers are "down the hall" and you will find lockers in your room to keep your backpack safe during the day when you're out and about. You will need to bring your own hostel sheet (like a sleeping bag but made of cotton) and a towel. Blankets and pillows are provided. Breakfast is often included in the price of European hostels and there will sometimes be self-service kitchens for your use. You need to buy a membership before you go in your country of residence. ($25 in Canada)

The best thing about hostels (besides the price) is the opportunity to meet people from all over the world. Because you are sharing the facilities with others it's very hard not to meet people! You will find a much more social environment at hostels than any other kind of accommodation.

Regarding camping, if you are a real gung-ho camper, go for it. You will find excellent campgrounds with lots of services and you will meet a lot of Europeans on their summer vacations. Be sure to weigh your decision carefully though. You will have to carry a lot of extra gear with you (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove, pot set, food etc.) and will probably not save much money since you won't be right in town and will have to spend money each time you want to go see something.

There is a lot of hostel information on the net (search for Hostelling International or Youth Hostel Association) You should also buy a book by Rick Steves called "Europe Through the Back Door" which is a "how to" book for Europe and has an excellent section on camping in Europe.

I hope this helps. Good Luck. E-mail me if you need any other information.

Old May 9th, 1997, 06:31 AM
Linda

Camping is different here .. it's a way to travel and not necessarily an outdoor experience. Like I was down in Provonce and we stayed on top of a race track Felt like a gypsie. Gete Etapes are the way to go ... they are above a youth hostel but have the same flavor.

If you are coming in summer, you need to book ahead. Other than that, no problems with finding places.

Good luck.

Old May 30th, 1997, 06:26 AM
asgaut

If you are planning to visit the French Riviera I can highly recommend Camping Caravaning Antipolis, just a five to ten minutes drive from Antibes in direction Nice. I have stayed there several times, and are going back this summer. This campsite has all the comfort you need, like two swimming pools (one for children), modern toilet blocks, washbasins in individual cubicles with hot water, ironing room with washing machines, Snack-bar, restaurant and a self service shop.It's also possible to rent caravans and mobile homes.
I use to bring my good old tent, and high season prices are about 150 FFR a night.
Best of all: You can park your car at the Antipolis, and go by train when visiting cities like Nice and Cannes. Biot Railway station is only 500 meters away, next to the beach and the Mediterranean.
Booking in advance is recommended if you are going there in July or August.
Phone number is 93.33.93.99.
Have a nice stay at the Cote d'Azur!!!

Old May 30th, 1997, 05:46 PM
Tricia

Saw your reply to the person wanting to go camping. You said a person can rent caravans and mobile homes. I think what you mean is a motorhome (which is driven on the road from place to place) whereas a mobile home sets in one place. If motorhomes can be rented I would be interested in finding out how to rent one. Can they be rented throughout Europe? Thanks! Let me know!

Old Jun 13th, 1997, 10:08 PM
dan

If you decide to do youth hostels, don't miss the one in Cap d'Ail (the village next to Monaco). I stayed there often in the 1970s & it's still there for kids in the 1990s. Have fun.